Comp Half Shaft Advice

Hi all,

Having recently changed from running a Comp motor with a Salisbury rear axle, to a standard RR rear axle with Ashcroft shafts, I’m after some advice on which half shafts are most appropriate for competition use. We’ve just broken the long rear Ashcroft shaft so after a replacement but taking into account the little use / mileage (ok, all be it Comp Safari) for what’s supposed to be a ‘Heavy Duty’ shaft, I’m a little nervous with replacing it with the same shaft again.

The shaft is 7 years old but the motor was stood stationary for a few of these years and only competed a handful of times in the other years.

***Photo of broken shaft attached***

I'd be interested to know your thought on what other shafts people are running and people experiences with Ashcroft shafts.

Need to get a replacement sorted for 22nd May to have a go at retaining the ALRC National Comp trophy.

Cheers!

post-3818-0-39602300-1431093731_thumb.jpg

Are those hollow shafts?

Are you allowed non LR shafts in ALRC then? I wasn't even allowed to take my door tops off to compete against 90's with wind down windows in trials! So I left ALRC

Are those hollow shafts?

Are you allowed non LR shafts in ALRC then? I wasn't even allowed to take my door tops off to compete against 90's with wind down windows in trials! So I left ALRC

there isnt enough meat in the shaft to gun drill them

Thanks all. Never had a problem with the Sailsbury and shafts are checked regularly (obviously don't have the diff out!). We like the idea of the standard axle as it's easier to try different types of diffs. I phoned Ashcroft and spoke to someone who didn't seem very technical. Never had any dealing with them before so not sure who's worth speaking to. Any thoughts?

Competed in Winch Challenge, Comp Safari and crossover events like Driven To The Edge (plus just been to the Croatia Trophy as well) with Ashcroft shafts. We've never broken a rear shaft yet, we've done ONE Ashcroft CV but that's it!

I would definitely go with the Ashcroft shafts again.

I spoke to Dave yesterday and he said t looks like a failure normally caused by large tyres but we only run 205's and use an auto so that helps reduce shock too. Only option now is to buy more shafts.

Are there any alternatives to Ashcroft for hardened shafts?

Lesson 1.

NOTHING is unbreakable lol.....I have some super lovely blown up bits lol ...

Lesson 2.

What fionally breaks it might not be what broke it ....

ie - the comp safari racer that at the start of the event reverses off the trailler and there is a huge BANG ....something broke.

Its was nearly dead at the time it was last driven on the truck, just not quite ...

Lesson 3.

Wear and overloading can be accumulative, so each time they get some serious ploppyplopplops given to them it can move it closer to scrap.

7 years old is one thing - were these new or second hand, if sh who has done what to them previously life :rofl: ?

Also specs and treatment do improve, and ashcroft does do changes for the better. 7 years for a set of shafts means nothing, depends on how treated ?

Forget buying KAM stuff now imho, specs servioce backup and quality control is a vast unknown...Buy another ashcroft set, 300M if you fancy breaking something else vs shafts :rofl:

Nige

I don't know whether MaxiDrive are still trading but they used to be an alternative to ashcroft. They break too tho, below was broken with 37" Boggers and a lot of abuse

CC6BB376-B8F9-4B00-86C2-457A53490F63_zps

Given that it's normally the short side which fails and you have broken the long side (?) someone may have a spare you could have? I can ask my mate if he still has the long side to that pair of MaxiDrives

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for your input / advice. We were aware of the full history of the shafts down to which events they'd done, gearbox, engine, etc.

We've now bought a replacement from Ashcroft.

Fingers crossed.