Cross Continentals V Mud Campaigners

It seems that we dont like Continental Cross Contact tyres - just judging from the numbers of 'new Take-Offs and various negative comments on facebook?

Why is this?

Does anyone have any direct experience that would merit their bad reputation?

Im getting a bit weary of my 255 85 Mud Campaigners for everyday commuting so for someone wanting a road tyre what would you recomend? specifically I need good breaking / stopping on tarmac,

how would the BFGoodrich TR compare to the Continental Cross Contact tyre now seeming being fitted by JLR as standard?

cheers

I've only ever seen good feedback for them, what sort of negative views have you seen? There are a lot of new take offs around because people buy a new Defender and then change the tyres because they want it to look like some sort of monster truck.

I have a set on my 90, they work very well both on and off the road and I am very pleased with them. My only gripe is that I seem to have pretty much worn them out in less than a year and just 25,000 miles. When I've asked other people they have said I should be getting double that if not more so I can only presume it's the nature of the conditions I'm using the vehicle in that has caused them to wear out prematurely.

The alternatives I suppose include the General Grabber TR (previous standard factory fitment for 235/85) or moving up one level to an all-terrain tyre like the BFGs or General AT2.

That's a very helpful answer - Thank you, Having posted I thought I should check my sources - and discovered that most of the negativity was from the USA - so I'll investigate, bit mainly they don't seem to like Continental full stop

I'd like my 110 to look less like a Monster Truck so I might take advantage of the 'new Take-offs'

I have them and love them as my road tyre, also good in snowy conditions.

IMHO handle better than these other tyres I have had; BFG MT, BFG AT, Avon range masters, hankook RT01, HANKOOK RT03, Pirreli scorpion MUDs and many other knobbilys.

Will.

How do the cross contacts compare noise and economy wise compared to BFG KM2s?

Got 255 85 KM2's on the 110 at the moment and and motorway speed they hum a lot (even compared to the rest of the noises a 110 at 70 makes!!)