Will this solenoid work with my Warn XD9000i

My Warn XD9000i (about a 2002 model) has gotten where it will only let out line reliably. It clicks and occasionally takes in line, but I figure one or more solenoids are bad. It was recommended to me to upgrade my solenoids.

Will this one work in my winch?

http://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Reversing-Solenoid-Contactor-WARRANTY/dp/B00QW3OMTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431453937&sr=8-1&keywords=12V+DC+100+AMP+REVERSING+SOLENOID

I don't know all the right questions to ask, but

1. Will it physically fit and mount reasonably well?

2. Can it handle the amperage and any other electrical issues?

3. Will it work with my existing Warn hand-held switch?

Feel free to add questions and answers.

Ignore this FFS.

wow that will teach me to bother.

i was basing it on the issues we have currently had with our works Warn winches which are doing exactly the same

broken things - Hope you get the winch sorted. have you tried bypassing the solenoids and wiring straight to the motor to see if it works?

Apologies for any offence caused by my previous terse reply.

In a series wound motor it seems unlikely that it would run in one direction only due to an internal fault.

It could be jamming against the brake in one direction, but that would likely prevent power-out, not wind in.

Solenoid seems a far more likely failure.

To the OP :-

No way to tell if that solenoid is up to the job. The datasheet only specifies 250A current limit (not enough), but not under what conditions (time limts etc), or safe breaking current etc..

(It also seems too cheap to have any confidence in). It would certainly be useable with the Warn remote though, possibly with some rearrangement of the wiring.

And to prove what goes around comes around, my winch has just died :unsure:

My Warn XD9000i (about a 2002 model) has gotten where it will only let out line reliably. It clicks and occasionally takes in line, but I figure one or more solenoids are bad. It was recommended to me to upgrade my solenoids.

Will this one work in my winch?

http://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Reversing-Solenoid-Contactor-WARRANTY/dp/B00QW3OMTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431453937&sr=8-1&keywords=12V+DC+100+AMP+REVERSING+SOLENOID

I don't know all the right questions to ask, but

1. Will it physically fit and mount reasonably well?

2. Can it handle the amperage and any other electrical issues?

3. Will it work with my existing Warn hand-held switch?

Feel free to add questions and answers.

1. From a google Warn XD9000i seems to have solenoids mounted in bridge using multiple (4) on/off solenoids, not a single mono block design like this albright DC88 copy.

So I would say that it is unlikely for a mono block design to fit in the existing location as the mono blocks tend to be taller.

Would it mount somewhere else , possibly depending on cable lengths

2. It looks like it has the right electrical design for a winch solenoid.

As it says "switching current" then 250A then using normal terms is the maximum it can current that can be switched by the contacts safely, the albright DC88 can break a 800A current (as there is no current flowing before the contact is made so the switch on to off (break) is more important)

It does not state the thermal or continuous load the solenoid can handle then it is difficult to say how long it would handle the maximum load, but I would want a solenoid that could break contacts at the maximum load of a winch motor (so switching current of at least 500A)

Note that the much used albright DC88 is rated at 100Amps continuously or 500Amps for about 30 seconds

Note that a winch motor only uses enough current to pull the required load and is quite often way below maximum.

So to summaries it looks a bit below what I would call suitable electrical requirements, but it would function up to a point.

3. Yes, but you will have some left over wires or have to do some different wiring to normal mono block solenoids as from memory the warn hand held switch also switches the earth wire, where the normal wiring for mono blocks solenoids do not switch the earth wire, so when converting most people don't the earth switching feature of the handset.

Overall you get what you pay for a DC88 will cost you about $100 compared to the $39 but you get detailed specifications and it seems a higher electrical spec and all major winch sellers in the UK tend to use it.

My main concern is the below 500A switching current (you really want to be able to stop a winch when under high load to be safe)