compressor reservoir ~ ideas?

JST

have just fallen over backwards with the price of an ARB compressor so am thinking of using a T max compressor or similar and plumbing it a manifold via an air res to run onboard air, predominantly for lockers but also for occassional tyres.

any suggestions on what could be used as a suitable sized (1-2l how much is needed?) reservoir?

something that is compact and can easily be adapted to fit a 6mm pushfit fitting into that can connect straight to a res.

I made up 2 old fire extinguishers as air tanks, welded on an off cut from some galv water pipe with 1/2" thread on and ready to go. I sold them on as I changed the plan in the end, still holding air 2yrs on too :D

I have a few cylinders from an old fizzy drinks machine we had at work that BOC don't want back. They're rated at 50 bar and have a valve and threaded fitting, not sure what thread. The valve is also screwed into the bottle so you could always dump that bit. Or with them being as thick as they are you could probably drill and tap into the bottle. They're probably a little bigger than a coke bottle. Open to offers if any good?

thanks guys some great ideas, like the small welding bottle one, think i have one kicking about!

ref the fizzy drinks bit, what size coke bottle? 250, 500, 1L, 1.5L 3L ?

I used 5 ltr co2 cylinder, mounted along chassis side rail make sure you have a safety blow off valve, i also use a pressure switch that cuts out compressor at 110psi ,, you will also need a pressure reg to take feed to arb locker control . i also have a coupling for airing up tyres or running rattle gun. HTSH

My OBA tanks are 2 small aluminium reservoirs off an HGV from the local breakers , each about 3 litres . They have metric pipe threads so std fittings for push-in pipe connections and a water drain and mounting feet . The pump was a s/h RRC air susp. one but it has given up and is to be replaced with a Tmax double pump .

cheers

Steveb

I've used 5Kg aluminium CO2 extinguisher-bottles pumped up to 160PSI as "this will reinflate one tyre quickly" kits in rally-car service-barges; but be careful - you need to make sure you use *dry* air or internal corrosion can seriously weaken the bottles - and one of these pumped to 150+ PSI can be a murderous bomb if it ruptures.

[i'm always surprised at the absence of a proper air-drier on the output of air-suspension compressors].

In mine I have a 24 liter home compressor tank. They often come up with burn't out motors as they're cheap and people work them beyond their duty cycle. Mine was £18 for the tank, gauge, pressure switch, safety valve, check valve and pressure regulator. Then the scrap yard give you around 50p/kg for the dead motor :)

Coupled with an AC compressor on the engine it can put tyres back on the bead, run airtools, difflocks, almost anything really. Downside is who wants to be under the car using air tools whilst the engine is left running?

Mines a former 2litre powder extinguisher bottle

Same here. It's rated to quite high pressures, well in excess of 100 PSI.

P38 or RR air suspension tank, has handy made fixings to oplumb into !

Cheap as chips sh

Make sure you limit the air PSI OUT to the ARBs at 75-80 PSI or your blow the seals out quick !

Nige

RRC tank was what I had on my 90. It fits nicely between the chassis rails just in front of the rear cross member.

We run one of the smallest 100 series compressors from Matt Savage, reservoir is an old fire extinguisher, aluminium of course, 1,5 L we have newer run out of air, it is used for lockers and airhorn, but not tyres, it is the cheapest setup I could work out, it is 6 years old now.

Ole.

The RR tank will easily handle that, he's your saying an ARB locker won't.

i dont have ARBs

thank you for suggestions guys

i am trying an old fire ext, if thats a no go then RRC cyclinder!

• 4 weeks later...

slight change to plan in that i found an air suspension 6l ali tank on the bay which i tapped 1/8BSP to take a 6mm PF.

So i have finished it, used new parts throughout less the air tank which was £20.

a.T max compressor, swapped the head orientation around and used a 6mm 3/8 BSP pushfit for the output

b.Gigglepin manifold with two locker solenoids 1/8 BSP, 6mm PF output to air res, 3/8 BSP PCL QR output (one end) and 6mm PF input from the compressor and 3/8 ARB pressure switch

c.ARB pressure switch

d. T max air line kit - adpated the fittings to take PCL QR.a

All in around £100

OK James has found a solution before I could stick my oar in, but for anyone else.....

A 2l plastic coke bottle! They explode at around 500psi (how do I know this?!) and are quite safe at up to about 150psi - surprisingly difficult to rupture. Even if it does (which requires sticking a knife in it) you just get a loud bang - the shrapnel is so light that it slows down very quick & doesn't hurt (again, How do I know!).

For a pressure switch, use a micro-switch cable-tied to a big jubilee clip. The jubilee clip goes round the middle of the bottle. As the bottle expands with the pressure, it eventually presses on the button of the micro-switch which turns the compressor off. Tape the jubilee clip in place then adjust the tightness of the clip to set the pressure.

The solution weighs almost nothing and works surprisingly well. It's easy to fit a 1/4 BSP fitting into the cap with a nut and ideally a couple of rubber / fibre tap washers.

It has survived fine even fitted underneath the vehicle. If it does rupture - or you need more capacity, more bottles are easy to come by.

Si

• Like 1

Diving bottles out of test are dirt cheap and rated to insane-o-pressure.

For lower pressures you could use the spare tyre as a reservoir.

Steel ones are ridiculously heavy, its a bit overkill for 10 bar. And actually hard to find, as test fails are supposed to be destroyed. You can find relatively cheap tanks on ebay etc e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Gallon-Compressed-Air-Storage-Tank-Off-Road-4X4-/201011351430?hash=item2ecd35cf86