Indicators D1

JimDay

Hi All On my 'N' Reg Disco 1 I am having problems with the indicators when I am towing, the trailer warning light on the dash does not flash as it should when the trailer is plugged into the towing socket the warning light just gives one flash as it would without trailer attached I have tried another 'new' flasher unit, the unit says it is for 8x21watt + 2x5watt bulbs, I have checked all earths on the caravan & on the Disco with no luck, the towing socket is wired into the loom behind the right rear tail light on via the factory loom I should say the Disco has twin 7 pin sockets fitted as does our caravan, not the new 13 pin type, so as I know the caravan indicators are working and to comply with the law & MOT requirements I have fitted one of those annoying little buzzers & it's doing my head in despite muting it with sponge & duct tape LOL

Has anyone else come across this problem & found a cure

Many thanks Jim

Perhaps it's due to the trailers bulbs not meeting the exact resistance required by the indicator relay, therefore no flashing in unison with the vehicles dash bulb so indicating a trailer lamp fault.

Hi teabag I've checked the wattage of all bulbs on car & caravan & changed a few of them that had slight corrosion on them but even if I plug in another trailer or trailer board it's still the same the warning light just gives one flash which makes me think it's soon the Disco that isn't quite right

Yeah checked resistance too, socket is brand new but wired into old loom so it would still plug into the car loom behind right hand rear light maybe I should splice it straight into the loom that's about the only thing I haven't tried. Maybe there is too much resistance in the plugs that join into the main loom not checked that as yet

Well unless the original connection in the main lighting loom has be touched it should be ok, although maybe worth a look for corrosion there, ok if you don't have the boot seats, a pain if u have.

Yes all the bulbs flash in unison & yes I have changed or tried another new flasher unit although mine is black not red fitted in the fuse box behind the dash, between the drivers door & steering column.

Looks like I'll have to check the plug behind the right rear light unit ( Oh & Teabag luckily I don't have the boot seats )