Garage wall painting

mad_pete

After a garage tidy up I'm thinking of going further and painting the brick walls white. Does anyone have any advise on paint and a mist coat? I'm thinking brush or roller. It's a double garage in terms of space. House bricks not blocks.

I just used emulsion on mine, painted about 10 years ago and not needed another coat yet.

Painting it on can be a LOT more time consuming than you think it's going to be, especially if, like mine, the bricks have a rough finish. I tried normal brushes and masonry brushes and in the end found the quickest way was to water down the paint a bit and spray it on. I just did two coats of the emulsion.

Mine was already white when I bought the house, but when I removed fitted cupboards and a dart board etc it was bare behind. I painted these patches with regular dulux emulsion and it seems fine almost two years on :)

Before you paint I would use the plasterers trick of sizeing the walls using PVA adhesive watered down to approx. 8 parts water to 1 part PVA.

This will seal the bricks and stop them sucking in the paint, as well as giving the paint a good key. You may get away with one coat of paint.

Cheers

Barry

Distract whoever needs be and Hoover the walls first.

You'll probably be ok with brick but on block you can't get it right in with spraying we found a good brush and stipple it in was the only way.

Will.