V8 Gaskets

need4speed

I hate the stamped ones, could never get them to seal properly, and sliced your fingers every time you went near them.

The only ones I have foudn that reliably seal are these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-V8-BIG-BORE-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-GASKETS-X-4-/120495446055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c0e169827

They are similar to yours, but have a metal piece on the inside of the port to stop burn-through.

Here's another: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-RANGE-ROVER-V8-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-GASKET-SET-3-5-3-9-4-0-4-2-4-6L-/201032247979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ece74aaab

I hate the stamped ones, could never get them to seal properly, and sliced your fingers every time you went near them.

The only ones I have foudn that reliably seal are these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-V8-BIG-BORE-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-GASKETS-X-4-/120495446055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c0e169827

They are similar to yours, but have a metal piece on the inside of the port to stop burn-through.

Here's another: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-RANGE-ROVER-V8-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-GASKET-SET-3-5-3-9-4-0-4-2-4-6L-/201032247979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ece74aaab

Bugger. Just ordered a set of the stamped kind earlier :( I have studs fitted so maybe I will be ok as I can see if they're perfectly centered before I offer up manifolds. If not I will get the kind you referred to Bowie...

Say what?

If you look at the stamped metal gaskets, they are made of two or three thin bits of metal spot welded (well somehow attached to each other) together. I found that such a gasket was simply not up to the job when one blew out whilst away from home and halfway up a Scottish track, in my emergency spares I had a spare single gasket (got no idea why) so I split it into it's separate parts and put an extra "leaf" on the one which had blown, it lasted about 70K miles! I think that they are simply not thick enough or flexible enough as they come to allow for the variations in both the cylinder head and the manifold - probably not describing this very well, but if you take one apart you will see what I mean - I'm referring to the stamped metal hobbies not the fibre things you put a photo of.

Not had a problem with fitment, I know Nige has used them in the past as well.

It would be worth checking your manifold for flatness as well, if badly warped you are unlikely to get a proper seal no matter what gasket you use.... I got mine skimmed back flat, which I am sure all helps.

You know they are warped if you try and get bolts in the end holes first and they won't go in/need drilling out! :)

Ok. I'm really getting f in fed-up with this...

Below is a pic of the bearmach gaskets. As you can see the fit is abysmal. Funny enough they are fitting EXACTLY the same as the previous type, ie protruding one side of the port and not close enough on the other...

What next?

post-4644-0-55404900-1432215600_thumb.jpg

Yeah I hope so Bowie. It's still going to be a little while before I turn the key so if it fires up and sounds like a chuffing maraca I will probably have forgotten why lol

What I did was rather than grind the "crush" area round the port, I elongated a couple of the holes where it bolts to the head. This allowed the whole gasket to move a bit to the left.

Hopefully by doing that I've given it every chance to seal..

The ones I got form Rimmer Bros with the fitting kit for my stainless exhaust seem quite good.

The fit is fine and they are some sort of softish metal, almost like lead.

Having only just fitted the engine into my chassis I unfortunately have no idea how they will perform.

David