Steering Wheels

Just how many types is there?

I've been looking at getting a new wheel. I always figured that it would either have to suit 36 or 48 spline and that was it.

Was looking at Bolt On Bits eBay shop. They are doing steering wheels along with slim-line bosses for reasonable money. But they seem to do loads of different types depending on year/spec/airbag etc etc.

The problem I have is that I recently bought an upper steering column as my original one was toast, and the only thing I know about it is the spline number..

No.... Not quite...

The latest 48 spline tdci wheels have a different indicator cancel mechanism and the ingnition cowl is slightly different, there's a fair few on flee bay at the moment... It will fit but the cowl needs modifying and some pins need inserted into the wheel on the inside to get the cancellation to work...

my wheel from a XS station wagon, Both 36 spline, there is a 48 spline version too, I had to remove the lip on the column cowling, it sits inside the old 4 spoke wheel but fouled this one, had to swap the spring steel indicator cancelling ring as well. I also swapped the big bump centre pad for the flat RRC item, just gave it a coat of satin black paint to be a better match.

post-20-0-20494200-1431971049_thumb.jpg