Custom dog cage

Simon_CSK

After 6 month of playing I have finally complete the cage for my Discovery. Both the dogs and myself are really please. :i-m_so_happy:

All the joints were made with custom printed plastic jointer which I drew and printed myself. It works really well and once I create a couple of doors for the lower storage I will be able to leave the dogs with the rear door open in summer.

WP_20150524_12_37_47_Pro__highres1_zpsl7

dog two (RHS) has a similar expression to mine, along the lines of "look I got in here in good faith, stop messing with the camera and lets go to the field"

I found those fold flat cages to be useless as you had to zip tie them together to stop them rattling which defeated the object - yours looks like as practical and solid setup.

Thanks.

The corners of the gates are plastic printed hexagon sections into which a 15mm angle is inserted and then the wire mesh welded into the angle. The frame is a steel box section which again is jointed with printed plastic joints. It seems robust at the moment but will be interested to see how it holds up with the two dogs especially as they are being very aggressive with one another the one on the right is two and trying to usurp the one on the left who is nine so a testosterone battle going on. The reason I divided the boot on both the Disco and the Range Rover.

The advantage of the plastic was it all went together very cleanly without much in the was of a jig.

So far there is no rattle so it is working very well.

Jeff mine first. :hysterical:

• 5 years later...
On 5/24/2015 at 10:43 PM, Simon_CSK said:

After 6 month of playing I have finally complete the cage for my Discovery. Both the dogs and myself are really please. :i-m_so_happy:

All the joints were made with custom printed plastic jointer which I drew and printed myself. It works really well and once I create a couple of doors for the lower storage I will be able to leave the dogs with the rear door open in summer.

WP_20150524_12_37_47_Pro__highres1_zpsl7

Hay, I know this is a really old post. But would you still have the dimension of this build.

K

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I never took any dimensions, I had the steel and the printer and made all the fittings and then fitted them to the steel. 

I still have the 3d drawings and stl files I used for the plastic components.