Front wheel bearings

timppl

Hello all

I have a recurrent problem on my LWB safari; the drivers side front wheel bearing keeps needing adjusting. On the left side I have only needed to replace the bearing once and adjust it once in 23 years. However the drivers side I need to tighten it frequently. It has always been like this ever since I have had the car, regardless of what type of bearings I have used ( I have replaced them several times ). Each time they are well greased and set up as per the manual.

Is this a known problem with series vehicles?

BTW it is a 1976/7 model

Regards

Tim

Are the bearing tracks a tight fit in the hub assembly - did you have to drift them in as opposed to them 'falling in'? Are the bearing races a snug fit on the stub axle. I've experienced this problem on a Transit and it was the hub that was at fault (poor quality material).

Les

Hello

@discomikey Yes I always replace the seals when I replace the bearings.

@Les I remember the tracks being tight so I had to drift them in. I seem to remember having to drift the race on to the stub axle, but I can't remember for certain.

I have been wondering whether it is worth using loctite in the locking nuts as well as using the tab washer, as I think that should help prevent the nuts from moving. I think the tab washer ( between the two locking nuts on the stub axle ) tends to be a bit hit and miss as to whether it immobilises the nuts.

Regards

Tim

• 2 weeks later...