swivel balls

marktdi

Can't tell you about whether it'll fit... but I can tell you the guide in the tech archive (here) was excellent for when I replaced mine. The only bit I didn't get was how many shims to use, and how to measure the steering resistance. I just put some on, tried it, then put some more on!

I did mine without damaging brake pipes by using a spanner on the top swivel bolts and guessing the torque levels. Probably note recommended, but couldn't see any other way.

Depends on the age of the Disco axle, if early enough it might have the 'older' type of swivel ball with the railko bush at the top and taper roller bearing at the bottom.

I believe Discos changed quite early on in their production run to the 'later' type with taper roller bearings top and bottom. Defenders didn't change until 1993/4 so you are after the older type.

I think the only real way to see if it fits is to take both apart and see if they are the same. Problem is that both could have been changed before, so you can't always go off the year of the car.

Then there is there ABS/none ABS disco axles too.

The axle came off a 300tdi auto disco it has square steel bar across the bottom where the bottom pin is . The bar and bottom pin look to be held in with torx bolts rather than hex bolts . The axle fit fine and seems to run nice and smooth just a shame about pitted ball . Would be great if i could just swap one off my old axle with some new seals .