Towing laws & enforcement in Spain

castasdad

I'm just about to set-off for a (towing) trip through Spain, And I hear the Guardia civil are getting tough on enforcing towing and trailer laws!

Has anyone had recent experience of this?

I know I've left it a bit late, 2 weeks time, But I have never had any problem before in spain, but that does'nt mean I won't this time!

Any gossip or chat on this subject welcome, Ta

No idea on spanish law, but the RAC and AA should know.

Follow the Law, have a plate on the trailer that matches the weight, have an insurance letter covering the letter from your broker, make sure you are licensed.

Have lots of paperwork in English.

G.

Spanish law enforcement is so hit and miss that you wont get a straight answer, in the motorhome world its just about given up with using a toad in Spain , proper trailer or nothing . GB on your vehicle is seen as a high probability of profitability on their radar. Not good news but there has to be an answer to austerity in Spain :)

I take it you are towing a UK trailer with a UK car , if not forget about it unless you have spanish reg veh and trailer spanish reg trailer (if over 750KG ) with homologated tow bar etc .

The rules covering the trailer construction are the UK rules so if it is legal on the roads here it is legal to use all over Europe. I remember some years back discussions about some or the big German caravans and how it was legal for the Germans to come over with ridiculous tow vehicles and use them here but it was very difficult for us to to the same caravan with even a 4x4.

They changed the caravan law recently ish. Before then the big hobby caravans could only be towed by commercial uk vehicles, like transit tippers...

If you want to take your uk caravan to Germany you can only tow at 50mph. Germany caravans have to have an mot to be able to be towed at 60.

We had thoughts of going to Morroco with our trailer. Spanish law dictates AFAIK that you can only tow with a factory fitted tow hitch. While I will try to talk myself out of jail in English I couldn't try it in any other language

Theoretically the tow bar (homolgated to vehicle) is only applicable to spanish vehicle with spanish trailer ,unless your UK vehicle was registered after 1 august 1998 , you also cannot tow a UK trailer with spanish vehicle . UK vehicle UK trailer combination OK

Re speed limit in Germany , you can get your uk caravan a TUV test in Germany 70 euros (about 2 hours)

Theoretically the tow bar (homolgated to vehicle) is only applicable to spanish vehicle with spanish trailer ,unless your UK vehicle was registered after 1 august 1998 , you also cannot tow a UK trailer with spanish vehicle . UK vehicle UK trailer combination OK

Re speed limit in Germany , you can get your uk caravan a TUV test in Germany 70 euros (about 2 hours)

Certainly if the vehicle and trailer are legal in the State of origin regardless of Spanish Law UK rules apply. It would be impossible for all vehicles to comply specifically with the idiosyncrasies of each member state on the off chance that vehicles would travel to every state. Add a trailer and that makes it doubly impossible.

Certainly if the vehicle and trailer are legal in the State of origin regardless of Spanish Law UK rules apply. It would be impossible for all vehicles to comply specifically with the idiosyncrasies of each member state on the off chance that vehicles would travel to every state. Add a trailer and that makes it doubly impossible.

Exactly. This technically even applies when importing a vehicle.

The only difference are trailer speed laws, all the license stuff (B+E for 750kg+ [yes I know there are exceptions]) is the same across the EU.

"The only difference are trailer speed laws, all the license stuff (B+E for 750kg+ [yes I know there are exceptions]) is the same across the EU."

Ehmm... Not quit.

France requires you to have a "E" behind "B" for a trailer over 500 kgs. Holders of French drivers licence, only. And a health check every 5 years. Trailers over 500 kgs. need their own logbook. Often their own insurance.

EU doesn't excist :mellow:

Trailers over 500 kgs. need their own logbook. Often their own insurance.

Maybe in France but no in the UK so a UK trailer being towed by a UK vehicle regardless of weight can be towed legally in every member state.

In spain trailer speed at highway is 90 km/h (55mph).

For spanish vehicles: tow bar MoT approved, indicated in our v5 equivalent. Over 750kg must have brakes and own (red) plate and insurance (here you insure vehicles, not drivers). Trailer will allways have also towing vehicles plate (that is, over 750 you carry twin plates).

B+E over 750kg unless: trailer max gross weight is less of unladen towing vehicles wight and AND the summ of both MGW is less of 3500kg. Then just a B will be ok.