Heated rear screen relay

JeffR

Hi Jeff,

I hope you have found the relay by now. I don't know where it is, but on a Range Rover Classic it is behind the panel under the steering wheel I think. I have got a feeling it is one of the relays attached to the steering column. Hopefully it will be there, especially as the Disco 1 was based on the classic.

Happy hunting.

After 4 hours of buggering about... Found the relay. It's fine, so the problem must be elsewhere, but where?

Rear screen element is fine, switch is fine, and relay is fine even added an extra earth(well gotta be worth a try), but it's still blowing fuses when the rear screen is switched on, anyone got any idea where to look? Without a wiring diagram this is just about impossible, yet I cannot find a wiring dig for a pre 1995 Disco, If anyone from Landrover reads this I really wish that the fleas of a million camels infest your nether regions.

The first place I think of is where the wiring loom goes into the door in the bit that flexes every time the door is closed?

out of interest, where was the relay?

Edited by duncmc

Can't find any insulating faults in the parts of the loom that are visible, wiggling the power wire from the relay to the element with a continuity tester suggests that there ain't a break, got a good earth, got extra earths, I honestly give in. Only odd thing is that the warning light in the switch only comes on after the fuse blows....

Try the obvious things first, and apply some logic

Give the screen 12v from a fused source - use a powerprobe if you have one - does the screen element heat up?

If yes then control circuit faulty somewhere (see below), if no screen faulty

If yes, temporarily connect relay to screen with spare length of wire - does the screen heat up?

If yes then wiring fault, if no relay or switch at fault (see below)

If no, disconnect switch from relay, give 12v and ground to switch side of relay - does the screen heat up?

If yes then switch faulty, if no then relay faulty

Replace as appropriate

duncmc, it is hidden in the drivers side footwell as an anonymous yellow bugger!

lewis, the awkward bit of doing it logically is that the same relay also operates the heated mirrors, so got to disconnect them first, but I agree that I'm just going to have to use logic, sadly electrickery is the one thing I dread , especially without a wiring diagram.

Well found the problem! When I put the rear doe back on after the welding opus a year or two ago, I decided to use the heated rear screen wiring as a gasket between the door and the hinge....... The wires were flattened until they were 1cm wide...

Well found the problem! When I put the rear doe back on after the welding opus a year or two ago, I decided to use the heated rear screen wiring as a gasket between the door and the hinge....... The wires were flattened until they were 1cm wide...

Yep, that would cause the problem wouldn't it.

I did that with my finger once many years ago, fitting a new aerial to my first car in the cold outside. Couldn't feel it at all. Only noticed when I couldn't pull my hand away from the wing after tightening the nut up!