110 middle row seat options?

I've depressed myself today. For a couple of years now, i have intended to fit my old front seats (replaced with RRC ones) into the rear of my 110.

I've tried all sorts today in terms of placement, but I just cannot fond a position where they give me adequate leg room in front and adequate headroom for anyone over 5'4". Altering one completely messes up the other. I've seen FridgeFreezers thread where he built a custom seatbox and Vulcan Bomber has also done it, but I just don't think this will work for me.

What other options are there? I've seen the thread where the Renault Scenic seats were fitted (although unfortunately the pictures have long disappeared on that thread) but I think i will have the same trouble with height and i think nic is long gone form the forum now as i think he sold his landy some time ago.

Some folks have fitted RRC rear seats, but have had to cut the rear tub to do so - I could but not keen and i actually think they might be too low!

Ralph has mentioned 'extender sections' bought from Exmoor Trim for the rear seats, but i cant see that they sell them anymore - anyone got a link?

I currently have the three seperate rear seats with the 'high' backs so am wondering if i can move them back a little for the leg room and then perhaps make a custom made seatbase.

Oh, and i cant afford the super dooper Exmoor middle row set, or a set from a Puma!

If anyone has a set of the three separate seat base frames going rusty somewhere, i could be interested in them so that i can have a play with them. I dont want to cut my current ones up and mess them up completely!

My hi-back seats & extender brackets are well over 10 years old, I can do some photo's tomorrow with a tape measure so you can see the measurements & brackets together if it'll help, I've no idea where the fitting info went.

the seat base I think is in the same place or moved back a inch or so & the backs have moved upwards & back by 2 inches,

That would be handy thanks Ralph.

I'm wondering if a Freelander 1 rear row of seats will retrofit actually? Any thoughts? Presumably they're that tiniest bit less wide compared to d2, d1 and RRC rear seats.

I have two Defender front seats in the second row. I made small mods to the mounting rails, and added a box section sub frame.

They fix to the original seat mountings and can fold toward as per the originals.

Leg and head room is better than before.

Have a read down the page here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?s=5812e2cb918fbc8054d6bf3d29377c5b&showtopic=88812&page=2

I have two Defender front seats in the second row. I made small mods to the mounting rails, and added a box section sub frame.

They fix to the original seat mountings and can fold toward as per the originals.

Leg and head room is better than before.

Have a read down the page here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=88812&page=2

They look good. I think the RRC seats are causing part of my problem with legroom. Where I have my drivers seat positioned, someone my height couldn't sit behind me with the front mounting points bolted in place in line with the current frames.

I know of people round here who retrofit Disco 1,2 and3 seats.

I've had a measure up of our d2 seats and a read and either the rear tub needs altering or the 40% seat needs cutting down internally (apparently)

done these photo's for you, can't find the fitting info, probably binned it years ago. I've bought these in early 1994, one of the first mods I did.

the rubber buffers for seat back to rest on are mini exhaust bobbins with the upper plate/stud removed., without these the seat back angles back to far to be comfy.

right rear seat outer bracket/latch photo's 1 to 10

right rear seat inner bracket photo's 11 & 12

hth :i-m_so_happy:

post-20-0-03662300-1433068295_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-53182600-1433068310_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-62767700-1433068322_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-72193300-1433068332_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-47475000-1433068342_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-78750800-1433068351_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-03625200-1433068363_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-32530300-1433068376_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-31313800-1433068390_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-15028300-1433068404_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-64158100-1433068512_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-83405200-1433068540_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ralph and Mike. Good input and useful posts.

I'm watching a set of freelander seats on ebay at the mo that are just round the corner from me so I am going to start there i think.

Those D2 seats do look high - i'm wondering about headroom in there again - they are set back nicely though for the legroom. I might message the seller and see if he would take some pics of the mountings for me.

Then, if all else fails, i will replicate the brackets that Ralph has kindly taken pics of above.

If you need more of my brackets info I could remove a pair to make a full-size diagram, the retaining locks are on the left bracket nearest door for left-hand seat,the right hand brackets for the centre & right hand seats, the actual latch & spring are moved from the original brackets

In fact reb78 seems to have commented on that exact post ;)

Haha. I did indeed apparently! Despite searching (for what seemed like ages), that post didn't come up :)

Thanks Liam. They do look good. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking to fit something that will comfortable seat folks at 6ft. My cousin is 6'6, his cousin is 6'6, other cousins boyfriend is 6'4, so i occasionally have more than one tall person in there! I'm not expecting miracles so working to comfortably seat folk at 6ft.

Did you need to do anything other than drill new holes in the seat frames? They have a lot of bracketry at the back - does that need to be modified at all?

Well I'm only 5'9 but I rarely sit in the back. We travelled to the south of France with a three adults across the back, two of which are 6' + and I received no complaints. Even with the new seats there is still a bit more headroom in there than we have in our Peugeot 106.

The seats themselves needed a little cutting of the plastic bases and I had to cut off some of the now redundant bracketry from the LR frames but it wasn't very complicated.

Do you ever come past Oxford? You would be welcome to call in and take a look.

Hi.

I have put in the rear seats from a d3. No hacking in the body and enough headroom for me (approx 1,90m) three headrests for safety, but they can all be put down low for visability when not used.

They only JUST fit and can be a bit difficult to fold down because of the width.

Regards mads

Hi.

I have put in the rear seats from a d3. No hacking in the body and enough headroom for me (approx 1,90m) three headrests for safety, but they can all be put down low for visability when not used.

They only JUST fit and can be a bit difficult to fold down because of the width.

Regards mads

Sounds interesting... Any pics?

Sounds like you're building a giraffe's enclosure in the back of the 110 Rich

Mo

Haha. There is a pic of this 110 with a giraffe stuck out of the sunroof (fake one of course :) ) taking part in our village carnival 'on safari'