Universal milling machine

Gazzar

I've a hankering for a milling machine - I know sod all about them, which has never stopped me in the past.

I came across this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Elliott-No-2-Universal-Milling-Machine-Ex-College-Includes-VAT-/281703283962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4196d2fcfa

on ebay.

What do you think? Check the comments.

G.

I think I would find that machine a bit of a nuisance without the vertical head but it would be a lot stiffer than (for example) a modern Chinese machine.

If you are looking for a mill I suggest you try to buy one that comes with some tooling if possible as you can very easily double the cost of the machine once you start buying clamps, rotary tables cutters etc...

Excepting the price comment, I agree with the author of the question.

Advertising it as an universal mill implies it can do horizontal and vertical, which it cannot.

I don't think he deserved quite such a shirty reply.

For odd jobbing at home I would go for a turret mill. A horizontal is a great machine if you have the space to keep it and the money to tool it. Most stuff you can do on a vertical given time. The only thing I've ever used them for is making stuff flat or putting slots in.

Its as is a horizontal mill, a verticval mill is more usefull ...but both is better !

I have an old Beaver Vertcial mill, power feed both tables, powered quill, and INT30 which is seriously old hat, but I can get tooling cheap !

Nige

Erm, a horizontal can do everything a vertical can but a vertical cant do everything a horizontal can......

Erm, a horizontal can do everything a vertical can but a vertical cant do everything a horizontal can......

True - but for something like pocketing, visibility is limited (as the tool is pointing towards you thus you are looking at the back of the job rather than down in to the pocket.

My friend has a Tom Senior Horizontal with the vertical attachment - it is very versitile and impressively rigid, even compared to my Bridgeport Interract. I've used his mill for a couple of jobs - but he's never asked to use mine which has to say something about the flexibility of a horizontal.

Si

Oh, it's ages away yet, I've yet to get the lathe into the workshop, or even finish the workshop (cladding ordered today - yay!).

What I'd really like is to spend a day using a mill. It's a bit silly, I know, but I can't find an evening class or similar to learn this stuff.

Hair dressing or nail dressing (or whatever one does to nails, mine are too ragged to qualify as nails) I can find courses, but no metal working. No wonder the UK is going to pot!

G.

Years ago i did an nvq night class years ago that covered turning milling grinding and bench fitting.

Recently I've been trying to find one in practical industrial electrics and control but I'm struggling. The best I can do find full time courses that last a fee weeks. I'm that frustrated I'm thinking of doing holiday french instead :)