fitting bmw 530d m57 engine into defender 110, ex 200tdi

Hello, I have a 110 defender 200tdi van, currently being rebuilt after it fell over,

as we all know the 200tdi is a sound engine but too slow for me,

I am well versed in bmw engines, have had a 525tds and currently a 535d,

As far as I know ( quite a bit of resaerch on old posts and cross referancing parts)

I will buy a 530d complete car, pre 2004 so e39 shape, preferably manual,

I believe I need a p38 gearbox with the 2.5tds bmw engine, I know that bolts up,

bell housing is bolted to an r380, might need a defender r380 to be able to change gear,

Of course r380 bolts up to most transfer boxes,

Heres the tricky bit, clutch flywheel, and input shaft,

believe it must be a p38 flywheel, clutch plates some arrangement of bmw or LR,

input shaft is unknown, will it be similar to a v8 length (short) or 300tdi (long)?

Mounting of engine will of course be custom, aswell as wiring dont expect any issue there.

Any comments welcome, if youve done it before let me know how,

I dont want to hear what are you putting that piece of rubbish in for, stick with tdi,

after a tune 3.0 m57 will do 240bhp, about right for a defender.

Hello, thanks pete, yes I have seen that post, however he has gone through several engines and alterations since concieving it, and dosent clearly explain what is required for the conversion, no way im making my own gearbox bellhousing.

Ther also must be some other people out there who have done the swap, would love to hear from them on what they used and difficulties they faced.

I know this will be moderatly difficult swap so trying get as much information before I buy anything, really what im looking for is a parts list, gearbox, clutch, bellhousing, engine mounts, intercooler, radiator, the bits I need and from which car to get them from, if all goes well I will start a propper thread with a step by step conversion detailed with pictures, any advice is welcome as I have only weekends to spare and being built at a friends house will mean a limited timescale, months not years.

Dont know how it could be much clearer , a closer reading of the thread might reveal what you need to know.:)

M57 engine , P38 diesel manual bell housing , which bolts to the m57 , and the other end goes onto front of r 380 as used in p38

this needs the p38 diesel primary shaft , which can be built into a R380 that is suitable to bolt up to an lt 230 transfer box as used in defender . The flywheel (dual mass) and clutch assy is p38 M51 . Radiator is td5 defender, the intercooler is td5 defender. the secondary fuel pump is same as used on freelander td4 or on BMW 530d , I used efi pump intank as primary fuel pump. The BMW front engine mountings can be used , with suitable chassis mounts fabricated , or you can use range rover engine mountings and make suitable chassis brkts for them. I used adapter harness from rally raid UK , to mate to engine ECU , (with immobiliser unit attached) you can also get a ecu from rally raid UK that does away with the need for the immobiliser unit . You will need to get a primary exhaust pipe ( from back of turbo) made, mine connects into standard V8 silencer system . You can use a BMW 530d expansion tank mounted at front o/s in rad sidepanel corner. I mounted the fuel cooler behind n/s headlight Td5 style intake louvers. The intercooler, and rad hoses are almost same diameter, and are in the same areas as in a td5 , so easy to adapt. I used a mini diesel (BMW Mini) accelerator pedal to connect into BMW harness and it works perfectly. Thats about it , good luck !

Thanks tacr2man, that was absolutly fantastic, exactly what I was looking for, I was going in circle with everyones threads and differing opinions on what parts to use, really cant thank you enough.

one last question, the p38 input shaft is that specific to a p38 gearbox, I know the v8 box has differend shaft, reason I ask is we have an r380 defender diesel box and an r380 v8 defender box laying around and would have loved to use one of those, also I assume the bmw accelerateor pedal didn't fit is that why you used one from a Mini,

please excuse my ignorance with my questions, just wanting to have as much info as I can before I start.

many thanks for your help, just hope I can find a way around the dual mass flywheel, urgh be expensive if that needs replacing.

On a final note, that 530d convertion was by anychance tuned by endtuning, was talking to him the otherday and said he remapped one of these conversions, couldn't comment on how it was done tho.

Thanks tacr2man, that was absolutly fantastic, exactly what I was looking for, I was going in circle with everyones threads and differing opinions on what parts to use, really cant thank you enough.

one last question, the p38 input shaft is that specific to a p38 gearbox,I believe it is it is 1 inch shorter than the Lt85 input shaft I know the v8 box has differend shaft, reason I ask is we have an r380 defender diesel box and an r380 v8 defender box laying around and would have loved to use one of those, also I assume the bmw accelerateor pedal didn't fit is that why you used one from a Mini,The mini one looks as if it is made for the job the profile of the mounting bolts straight into the bottom of the defender footwell

please excuse my ignorance with my questions, just wanting to have as much info as I can before I start.

many thanks for your help, just hope I can find a way around the dual mass flywheel, urgh be expensive if that needs replacing. Dont think you will be able to do that as the clutch is pull off not push type this is one listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-MASS-FLYWHEEL-DMF-AND-COMPLETE-CLUTCH-KIT-FOR-LAND-ROVER-RANGE-ROVER-2-5-TD-/261490594684

On a final note, that 530d convertion was by anychance tuned by endtuning, was talking to him the otherday and said he remapped one of these conversions, couldn't comment on how it was done tho. It was remapped by a guy from Birmingham area by plugging into the obd socket BTW

it boosts to 1.5bar now as well .

One final thing my r380 was built up by ashcrofts (I supplied a P38 box and a td5 box ) they built the two together , and at the same time they did the big bearing conversion , to maximise the longevity of the box behind the M57 , i also put an oil cooler on the box , and it runs Redline synthetic .

I used the pas cooler pipe off the BMW but had to shorten it to fit behind the TD5 radiator.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I’m from Germany. Doing the swap as well. Actually I’m almost finished.

I have chosen this engine, as this is one of the best options for desert racing. Many Dakar teams are using the M57 (strong, robust, good economy, etc.). Even the last 3 Dakar winners (Mini X-Raid) are using the same baseline (I think it’s a 2010 M57 with BiTurbo, producing 320hp / 800Nm).

Also, as you meanwhile know the BMW 6cyl Diesels bolt straight onto the P38 driveline. I was looking for gearbox alternatives as well, but the problem is the transfer box. First of all I was using a BMW 330xd AWD gearbox. This one is very strong, but you would need to produce an adapter housing + shaft, to be able to bolt it onto your LT230. The thing is, if gear-/transfer box are not 100% aligned, you will get issues with your bearings etc.. Rally Raid UK offers both adapters, but they are extremely expensive.

Another option is to use the X3 transfer case. But it’s not capable if you use it for heavy offroad. And I’m not sure if the flanges are on the correct side.

Rakeway produces an LT230 remote shaft, if you want to mount the LT230 remote..

That being said, I ended up using an Ashcroft R380 with P38 primary shaft and LT230 end. Of course with HD bearings and external cooler.

As my 110 is a LHD, the generator is clashing with the steering box. I cut the bulkhead and moved the powertrain back at least 25cm. The engine is now sitting behind the front axle – YEAH! :i-m_so_happy:

Everything else was simple. Vehicle harness is from rally raid UK. ****in expensive for a few wires. I had someone who disabled the 330d immo box. For info: I bought a 184ps 330d manual, where I took away all the parts (accel pedal etc.).

Some pictures.

23128640nr.jpg
23128641hr.jpg
23128642tp.jpg
23128643cg.jpg

If you want to follow the project and see more photos and videos, how the race car is going crazy in the dunes of Sahara, follow us no facbook: www.facebook.com/BlackDezertRacing

Unfortunately I now had to take out the engine again.

My clutch actuation looks like it doesn’t work.

See pictures. Pilot bearing, DMF, clutch plate assembly, bell housing – everything is from a P38 Diesel manual. But the actuator arm is already in its end position?!?

Remember, this type of clutch is supposed to be pulled. The picture shows the bell housing without gearbox – mounted to the engine.

I’m not sure if this is the normal rest position for the clutch. There’s almost no cylinder travel left to actuate the fork (maybe 1cm). I don't know if this is normal. Actually I'm using the correct parts... Maybe I just need to give it a try.

23128675ab.jpg
23128676ph.jpg

Cheers,

Housten :i-m_so_happy:

• 6 years later...

Hi there I’ve got a defender 90 year 1993 and i would like to put a m57 bmw engine do you know any link or someone can sale the fitting plates ,  and the adapter to the gearbox?

and is the 4x4 and and the gear gonna operates same as before?

On 8/2/2022 at 8:16 PM, Simo said:

Hi there I’ve got a defender 90 year 1993 and i would like to put a m57 bmw engine do you know any link or someone can sale the fitting plates ,  and the adapter to the gearbox?

and is the 4x4 and and the gear gonna operates same as before?

https://mwmachines.co.uk/