Stub axle intermediate oil seal which way round ?

When I was struggling to remove the needle roller bearing from the stub axle I demolished the oil seal in the process. Did make it easier to get the bearing out though.

Now my predicament is I am unsure which way around the replacement goes. My workshop manual doesn't show the right orientation. I do know there is a right and wrong way.

Does anyone have any idea ?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

depends on the seal, the directional type seal the sharp lip edge should go towards the oil or grease,

The more confusing rtc3511 (fits many vehicles) double lip seal, if you need to tap it in you'll be using the flat face, use another rtc3511 (or the old one) to avoid smashing the smaller diameter piece through the seal.

edit: if we are talking about the stub axle inner and outer seals that is...

The cavity side of the seal, where you can see the spring ring, leads in, ie, faces the threaded end of the stub axle.

Steve

The RTC3511 may be slightly different, the spring sits on the outside edge, of the part. note from other google pics the slight round taper on the side that goes in first, then the larger plug end.

http://s577.photobucket.com/user/rover_driver/media/RoverParts/Drivetrain/RTC3511.jpg.html

Also note, use a scrap rtc3511 seal to tap the smaller diameter 1mm or so below the face of the flange, or it won't last long.

I used these on my pre 300tdi axles in both inner and outer bearings on the stub axle/hub

recessed as per another place

http://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/hub-seal-leaking-again-grr-35029/page3/

You chaps are talking about different seals, OP's question relates to the stub axle seal not the hub seal.

Stub axle seal goes inside the stub axle and is supposed to stop axle oil migrating along to the hub. This is the one that some people remove to allow the oil to do just this with a view to better lubrication.

Don't think i've ever seen one of those James. Are they on later 300tdi or 90 axles?.

On my rear disc brake conversion I deleted the outer seal on the stub as well, to let the oily goodness run through the whole axle and stubs

• 2 years later...
On 09/06/2015 at 10:03 PM, IanT90 said:

Now my predicament is I am unsure which way around the replacement goes. My workshop manual doesn't show the right orientation. I do know there is a right and wrong way.

Did you figure this out in the end? I've got the same seal to do on the rear and can't remember which way the old one before I took it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2017 at 12:52 PM, daveturnbull said:

Thanks Mike, top tip there. I'd never really thought about it before, but that does seem to be the case.

I did find a video on youtube that showed the seal this way round, but just because somebody else has done it doesn't mean it's right!

Seals always work that way - the idea is that by having the fluid inside the hollow side of the seal, and increase in pressure will force the lip tighter onto the shaft.  Having the seal the other way allows easy fluid migration as it will push the lip off the shaft.  It's the same principle as a mitral valve (like in your heart).

On 26/11/2017 at 8:26 PM, neil110 said:

Honestly it is a far better idea to pull the stub axle seal out and chuck it in a bin. Let the oil from the diff migrate along the half shaft and lubricate the wheel bearings. Just like Land Rovers of old did, right up to about 1994

Agreed.  I did that on my wife's 2009 Defender.