Can Britpart Get Nothing Right??

need4speed

Anyone looking at the sample size we have on here, and the number of complaints will know that this isn't just high volume production with an acceptable error rate, there are some consistent failings on the same parts time and again. There is the age old argument that "you only hear about the bad ones" but having seen so many posts on Britpart quality, it has an unacceptably high risk attached.

Which is why I laugh when we see the obligatory "they all come from the same factory!11!1" comments.

Just compare new Genuine with new Britpart, there are always differences - problem is people who defend Britpart never pay out for the Genuine part to fairly compare them to, supporting their own misbelief.

I now always go Genuine or Bearmach. The number of times I was stiffed by Britpart starting out when I bought my car, placing big orders with Paddocks and on delivery finding the parts never had that screw, that bolt, etc which would always have broken removing the original part, causing yet more time stuck on the driveway. They always come with the bare minimum to still fit the description of the part you wanted.

For the difference in price, receiving a Bearmach item with all nuts/bolts/connectors isn't even a question any more, just bolt it right on.

Bearmach aren't that perfect , their replacement steel fuel tanks are all made with open threaded inserts for the return line fitting -and pickup on swb tanks , which when filled to brim with fuel then leak by creeping up the thread and out under the head .

Of course , easily fixed by a fibre washer under each screw head , but not supplied or mentioned , and on a 110 tank not a 2 min fit retrospectively ....basic engineering design for application . Then there's the steel guard they supply with the 110 tank , it only needs bending about 200mm to fit to mount points ,,,,,,,near enough is good enough ?

Steveb

Bearmach aren't that perfect

I agree.

I have had some very bad quality Bearmach parts. Camshaft sprockets with chipped teeth and de slot for the key machined out of centre. I took the first one back to my supplier and the second one had the same problem.

Brake shoes that don't fit at all. Oval brake drums. Poor quality bearings.

They are not as bad as Britpart yet but my impression is that they are getting worse the last couple of years.

Genuine is the way to go.

My serie 2a does 100Km each day and since i only use genuine parts it has been prety much flawless for the last 2 years.

Eric

It isn't only B***part items that leave much to be desired. I recently had to replace the front RH half-shaft and CV joint on my 1991 110 CSW. The original parts that I removed were stamped "Hardy Spicer Ltd. GB GKN A098C3027 EMA2 02 12 6 91 B". I ordered from Paddocks part number FTC1332G, at premium cost, which is listed as a Hardy Spicer unit. However, there is no marking anywhere on the parts of who is the manufacturer. The new parts are nothing like the visual quality of the originals. Either they are not Hardy Spicer genuine parts, or Hardy Spicer is too embarrassed to admit that they produced the parts!

Anyway, since my options for return are limited, I'll fit the new bits, ans keep my fingers crossed!

Mike

Sorry, but Britpart are just useless, don't forget they once sold me a set of brake pipes some of which were solid....

I've experienced the solid flexi hoses too.

Not just a freak occurence then.

Sorry guys but why are you complaining about this? Look at it this way it was not a complete failure as the part was never going to leak. :rofl:

It isn't only B***part items that leave much to be desired. I recently had to replace the front RH half-shaft and CV joint on my 1991 110 CSW. The original parts that I removed were stamped "Hardy Spicer Ltd. GB GKN A098C3027 EMA2 02 12 6 91 B". I ordered from Paddocks part number FTC1332G, at premium cost, which is listed as a Hardy Spicer unit. However, there is no marking anywhere on the parts of who is the manufacturer. The new parts are nothing like the visual quality of the originals. Either they are not Hardy Spicer genuine parts, or Hardy Spicer is too embarrassed to admit that they produced the parts!

Anyway, since my options for return are limited, I'll fit the new bits, ans keep my fingers crossed!

Mike

Have a read here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=83997

I had exactly the same problem with 'G spec' bushes from paddocks. They came in britpart boxes and of all of them, i think only the radius arm bushes were of decent visible quality with a manufacturers mark. I bought genuine (in LR packaging from elsewhere) and the visual difference and the presence of manufacturers markings was quite clear. To be fair, once they actually responded to emails/phone calls Paddocks did refund the parts but it did take a little more argument that i would have liked.

Sorry guys but why are you complaining about this? Look at it this way it was not a complete failure as the part was never going to leak. :rofl:

Yeah, but try bleeding twin pipe callipers when one of the pipes is solid - a real test of ones patience! The only pipe from the set that I ended up using was the flexi to the back axle, the unions turned to rust in under a month. Set of Goodridge hoses fitted and the unions are still perfect after 18 months.

Problem as I see it is britpart can be ok as repackers/box shifters, where they source and supply oem parts such as P38 Dunlop ride height sensors. This falls apart once they source the same part from china for 20p less and continue to supply it under the same part number in a blue box. Complete lottery. And the G number means nothing only they supply the same part to the factory.

I ordered two brand new puma doors last week from main dealer. They were shipped to me in original LR boxes but had been overpacked for protection in quite a few britpart boxes, all addressed to main dealer, so it's not just home DIY people who buy britpart!

Yes it is rather concerning that. I myself have actually seen a Britpart lorry at the tradesmans entrance of local dealer. If it wasn't absolutely chucking it down with rain I would have went back in and enquired about it..

Strange thing is I've always only ever received parts in Genuine packing from dealer so I wonder what they get from Britpart?

...like exhausts for older vehicles which seem to be not too horrible with Britpart...

That's a pretty bold statement considering I've heard more than 1 person say they're Britpart exhaust rotted through in 12 months :(

That's a pretty bold statement considering I've heard more than 1 person say they're Britpart exhaust rotted through in 12 months :(

Britpart tail section on our Disco lasted 13 months from installation to falling off on the A69 - it was all I could get at the time. Bosal down pipe and centre section fitted at the same time do not even have any rust on them. Brit part exhausts appear to be made of rust.

I guess I'll see, I just put a Britpart centre silencer under the P38, seemed fairly well made and almost to the right dimensions.

No, the cheapest one available, for €58 as a quick fix on a now off-road toy I couldn't be too bothered to be honest. If it falls off, it's a good excuse to build myself a proper system when I have the tools again.

I had their stainless mid pipe for the defender, it has lasted well only mild corrosion on the stainless, the thing that irritates me is they used mild steel on the 2 hangers and they are going to be the first part to go.

Anyway, as an update to my original post..

Britcar got back to me today. Result? Both Britpart and Bearmach are as bad as each other. Britcar ordered in another Britpart item AND a Bearmach item. Neither of them have the required brass inserts in them. Just how the hell they expect you to tighten the damn things up I've no idea..

Also, Britcar called LR to see if they could supply me a new one at no extra cost to myself. Guess what, LR have them on back order with absolutely no idea of ETA..

Looks like I'm looking for a used genuine one....

Britcar got back to me today. Result? Both Britpart and Bearmach are as bad as each other. Britcar ordered in another Britpart item AND a Bearmach item. Neither of them have the required brass inserts in them. Just how the hell they expect you to tighten the damn things up I've no idea..

Also, Britcar called LR to see if they could supply me a new one at no extra cost to myself. Guess what, LR have them on back order with absolutely no idea of ETA..

If you are passing Haltwhistle, got a grubby set you could take away you - literally was about to chuck em....

Looking at the pictures, can you use a slightly bigger wood screw? Looks like the sort of screw receiver you often find in plastic casings for electronics and such.