R380 Questions about differences

Defender

V8 adapter would be for engine conversions, as people do things like put a V8 into a 4-cylinder Series, that sort of thing. It would require your gearbox to have a suitable bellhousing & input shaft to start with and then finding an adapter plate, E.G. a "200TDi to V8 conversion" plate if such a thing exists - not every combination will be possible.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I think the problem is solved as Fridge has pointed out with an LT77 / Stubby R380 and a V8 adapter plate. A kind sole on the forum has sold me the adapter plate so now all I need is a gearbox.

Appreciate that the stubby R380 is rare but if anyone has one that they want to sell please get in touch.

I would rather have the R380 because of the bigger bearings, smoother change etc.

If I can't source one over the next month or so I might have to look at buying the bits and building one but would rather not as I've never built a gearbox before and not sure from reading the R380 rebuild manual I have all the necessary tools.