Hill descent thingy.

Les Henson

Had a call today from a guy that has just bought a Freelander. He says "when I put it in 4WD, there's a light on the dashboard that flashes, and when I tried to drive off or reverse, there's a crunching noise from the underneath"

Seems like he was engaging hill descent, thinking it was something else.

Anyway, is there a possibility that normal driving and reversing with the hill descent engaged will have caused any damage?

Les. :)

Oh dear. Did you tell him they are permanent 4wd? :rolleyes:

The HDC light comes on when HDC is active (which is in 1st or reverse) and flashes and/or bongs when you are not in 1st or reverse to indicate that the driver is a tit for putting on HDC and then selecting 4th gear or whatever to descend the hill :)

No real chance at all of damage if left engaged, all the HDC does is pulse the ABS brakes when the throttle is released and the system is engaged, keeps speed down to 4mph or so. All you might find is that in traffic in 1st gear, if you released the throttle then it might kick in and slow you down quite sharply but that would be all I think. When it does slow down like that you will get the normal ABS-like rattle from the ABS modulator as it pulses the brakes, but I'd not call it a "crunch" - might be worth checking that is not what he means though!

Crunching may be "significant gearbox/IRD issues" but the other possibility is that one of the CV joints has disintegrated. I have seen this on one vehicle, the CV boot split and let all the grease out, CV disintegrated and the CV therefore made an "interesting noise" but because of the viscous coupling arrangement, the vehicle would still drive! It could be a front or rear CV, the noise would probably be worse if a front one is gone, because then it is driving through the viscous coupling to the rear wheels so the 5 or 10% slip (or whatever it is) would mean that the front (broken) CV would be slipping all the time and making lovely noises.

Could also be the rear diff as apparently they don't have a good reputation, but having said that I've never seen a broken one.... I'd start by jacking each wheel up in turn and checking the CV's.

I agree with Bogmonster - no chance of damage. The freelander will flash the light when button depressed but the car is not in 1st or reverse, or foot on clutch in a manual; the annoying bong is reserved for disco 2 when in high range or neutral.

The noise from description sounds completely normal.

The hill decent target speed is 5.6MPH. (Sad I know)!

Mark.

The 5.6MPH is for the freelander only, which can be too fast in some situations. The other vehicles with low range have much lower target speed, varying from model and gear selection and the latest are user choosable to a degree.

The target speed for the Freelander 2 has been reduced to about 3.5 MPH.

The 5.6MPH is for the freelander only, which can be too fast in some situations. The other vehicles with low range have much lower target speed, varying from model and gear selection and the latest are user choosable to a degree.

The target speed for the Freelander 2 has been reduced to about 3.5 MPH.

I must admit I didn't get around to trying HDC on the Freelander 2, on the launch.

I have a D2 auto and target speed in 1st low is still far too high!