Weatherproof toggle switch

Lewis

My external winch switch has a fairly miserable existence living on my wing top.

329D58E1-6FAD-4E00-8696-84895B00F145_zps

99890FA5-F600-44D1-8056-7BBEBFD03485_zps

It sees regular immersion and often has mud and grit caked around it. All this means that it suffers a short unhappy life.

So far I've been using a random assortment of Chinese rubbish out of spare wander leads but I've depleted my stock and wondered whether there was a decent weatherproof or waterproof switch on the market that might last more than a year?

Or do I just buy durite and hope for the best?

I'd redesign that switch plate, looks like the poor thing is forever doomed to sit in a pool of water / mud, and very few switches & boots are designed for permanent submersion. Can you not lift the switch up and put little protection bars either side, as seen on everything from the Apollo moon lander to the Tomb Raider 110? That way the water is not pooling on top of the switch but running off. Or make some gaps in the bottom of the existing one so water can get out.

I did think about having an external switch but canned the idea, ( easily damaged, water etc.) my solution was to retain the existing remote hand control and cable and wire it to a weather proof tow cable socket on the side on the car wing, and replace the then existing socket with a 7 pin round trailer plug (I only need to use 3 wires, in and out and common) if the infer-red remote fails all I need to do is plug the cable-remote in and hey-presto I have a winch control.

I don't seem to have a picture, but the plate already has two 1/2" drain holes in the base, one either side of the switch, so it's not immersed when it rains - only when wading

CF32988E-99B7-426B-822E-B4C1C813AC67_zps

I could redesign/remake the plate, but I'd still have to buy a new switch :)

Edit - found a pic

I'd look at remaking it, but fitting two buttons instead, much easier to get IP rated buttons than toggle switches.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sealed-vandal-resistant-ip68-switch-mg75s

Vandal resistant, will that mean it survives on a LR.../ Maybe :)

I know you lose the 'what happens if you push both buttons' safety of a toggle, but I've seen buttons used on many a winch-challenge truck so it can't be too bad a thing to do....

I think I'll try a new durite switch and pack the boot with boot with Vaseline, this seems like the least wallet impact, and most time effective solution. If that fails then I'll go buttons :)

Durite are better than Chinese but buy no means the most bestest toggle switch you can buy, RS & Farnell sell some very sturdy IP67 rated switches, although they're not super-friendly to your wallet they're not insanely expensive.

The (RS) ones linked to above aren’t expensive and CPC has a trade counter.

Just mounting the switch on the side of the hole rather than the bottom would make a massive difference to the longevity in the rain.

I found another chinese switch in stock so decided to fit that until i decide what to do, I took a few pics to show the state these get into in 12 months

F74A4033-5FA2-4B3A-83DA-63166451BF5F_zps

I had to replace the terminals as they were rusted on

The inside didn't look any better

D6A950E2-CEA7-4FA8-A830-26B269C46FF0_zps

6C362E62-AF86-4CEC-BCD5-159F2FA02166_zps

I reckon half the problem must be that the drain holes are encouraging the water to run straight down the switch body, it must be wet most of the time with our weather. To try to reduce this I fitted a plastic disc between the switch and the panel in the hope that it might guide the water away

99675A91-9D0D-41D0-8170-3C9180D83264_zps

Time will tell.

In the mean time I looked for some IP67 mom/off/mom toggles and found plenty for sale around the £30 mark, which is more than I was looking to spend really. I'll keep looking

If you are determined to go with the switch as photographed borrow the cooks hair spray and give it several coats of lacquer, then, once this has dried smear it with Vaseline. Remove and fill the rubber boot with Vaseline also, water-proofing should then be as complete as you can make it.