3.9 v8 efi auto cooling. ....

Having finished the build and got it running properly I have another slight problem. ..

I have installed a dedicated water radiator with oil and transmission cooler in front of the rad. The rad has twin 11 inch fans thermostatically switched. .. when burbling around today the fans are on continuously. .. and the temp gauge got up to about 98 at one point. ...

what have others done to aid cooling??...

Not a fan of bonnet scoop s..... but I suspect that half of the issue is the heat not getting out of the under bonnet area...

your ideas would be welcome. ..

I had a 3.9i in my 110 csw (replaced the old 3.5) , I had a 13 row mocal oil cooler, standard viscous fan and the normal size V8 rad(with one extra row) that was able to handle 45C towing a 3.5 ton load with no problems . So it would seem that if you have the standard V8 rad , and a similar oil cooler it should be able to cope easily . Aussie spec V8 have the a/c condensor in front of rad and they also dont suffer from o/heating , the underbonnet temp thing is a problem in Australia as it heats the footwells, and seatbase to a level where you cant touch them , luckily the csw was fully carpeted, I dont know of anyone successfully overcoming the problem. Wrapping the exhaust , and putting vents in rear of bonnet were some.

I have a Range Rover Classic 3.9 and I have fitted a manual switch to the fans, she does run hot in traffic and running around town. I have removed the fan cowling because in winter I take off the viscous fan, but even in the cold the fans occasionally have to be used. Mine's on lpg, don't know if that alters running temp.

I had a 4.2efi lse v8 in my 110, it would get to 94' stat open and stay at 89' all day long even when thrashing the loving daylights out of it.

I had a twin speed kenlowe which stopped functioning but the best fans I used were P38 air con fans, about £40 and were top notch.

Just a though, have you fit the universal Chinese fans? If so, make sure the fan blades are the correct way round for which side of the rad it's mounted to as it might not be working efficiently and thus not drawing or pushing enough air through the core.

Had all sorts of problems with a 3.9 in a Defender, ended up lagging everything (tubular headers)(didn't help much) , fitting a big radiator with built in oil cooler (helped) and an electric fan that would run a bloody hovercraft(helped). Wing vents helped, but what cured it in the end (apart from the wife turning it into a V6) was reverting back to cast manifolds, they seem to be a better heat sink/dissipator than tubular ones - used Disco ones.

Been out trialing today. And whilst it was quite warm it wasn't the hottest day on record. ..

admittedly when trialing I wouldn't expect anything other than it getting hot. But even at 50+ getting there and back its still warmer than I would like. ..

I'm running standard cast manifolds with the cats cut out. ..

I have drilled a few holes 28mm in the back sides of the bonnet. ... hopefully that will assist slightly. .. also tweaking the mixture til I get it somewhere near. ...

Well, mine works in the back, but I guess you plan for the worst with this set up. I have two 9 amp 14" sucking fans and a 3" deep ally air box so all the rad fins work equally. The box has a divider plate bit so one fan can still work if the other fails.

If your set up already has a good cowl/box then it must be a water flow issue?

I don't currently have the fans cowled. They are pinned basically straight to the rad. I could fit the fans to a shield and box in the back of the rad..... didn't really want to do that as I fear that the iil coolers will lose airflow when the fans are not running. ...

doug. Hopefully the timing is about right. The timing marks are incorrect so its done by ear... I can't guarantee its right as the exhaust is too loud to hear it det...... so I'm being cautious. .