101 Exhaust Manifolds

Has anyone replaced their 101 exhaust manifolds with something else? I am putting in a 4.6 and need something that will allow the engine to breathe a bit better.

I know a right hand P38 RR 4.6 manifold will fit but for the left hand to fit, the left hand chassis rail has to be modified which I am not prepared to do. With the 101 manifold the exhaust exists at the rear, like the P38 version but other Rover V8 manifolds exit between the centre two cylinders which as I understand it does not work in a 101 (if I am wrong please indicate so).

So other than RR P38 manifolds have any 101 owners fitted other manifolds to their 101 and how do they go?

Thanks

Garry

I haven't tried myself but you might consider poking around in the US to see what fits a Buick 300. I think the heads match but I am sure you'll be able to find someone on a US forum that can verify. I have seen some block huggers and being a 4.9L I can only imagine they breathe better.

Has anyone replaced their 101 exhaust manifolds with something else? I am putting in a 4.6 and need something that will allow the engine to breathe a bit better.

I seriously doubt you'll notice a huge difference, it's not an F1 car.

Someone on one of the 101 facebook groups has had a fabricator make up a big bore set to near original pattern.

They mate up to the original system,or the Rimmers stainless one.

Chris Velardi (ChrisV is his usual handle) had a pair of them, thinks they're ideal. Apparently £350 will get you a pair.

I seriously doubt you'll notice a huge difference, it's not an F1 car.

That make a huge difference - the originals strangle the engine at any reasonable revs - the originals work well for what it was originally designed, that is heavy towing at 30mph but not how they are used after military service which is higher speeds on the highway where they run out of puff.

I haven't tried myself but you might consider poking around in the US to see what fits a Buick 300. I think the heads match but I am sure you'll be able to find someone on a US forum that can verify. I have seen some block huggers and being a 4.9L I can only imagine they breathe better.

Someone on one of the 101 facebook groups has had a fabricator make up a big bore set to near original pattern.

They mate up to the original system,or the Rimmers stainless one.

Chris Velardi (ChrisV is his usual handle) had a pair of them, thinks they're ideal. Apparently £350 will get you a pair.

On my Dads we just modded the P38 Manifold instead of the chassis:

attachicon.gifWP_000212.jpg

This wasn't to gain performance though, only because the factory ones were cracked and is neigh on impossible to find!

Thanks for the comments - I will follow them up - I thought the Rimmers system was an exhaust system bolted to the standard manifolds.

I know someone who has a 101 manifold on the left side and a P38 on the right. Thanks for the pic - that is certainly an option.

Daslandroverman - you might be interested to know that our mutual acquaintance on the Gold Coast of Queensland is very happy with his 101. He recently did a long trip and it went well except it was running out of fuel. It was found that the fuel pickup was only half way down the tank so only able to suck up half the fuel. The fuel pump is being replaced this week with one that has its pickup at the bottom of the tank so its full 130litres (a bigger tank) are available.

Cheers

Garry

As far as I can see, the "custom" headers are also based on the P38's (atleast the flanges looks just like them) So not all stainless any way. IMO you'd be better off modding a set of P38's. It took us about a days worth of work. so not bad at all and that's including the modding of the 101 exhaust system so that it would fit. On the RHS you don't have to cut or weld anything to the P38 manifold. I do recall having to make a small dent with a hammer somewhere though, but nothing major

Thanks - I was just going you a tick (Like This) but the syatem says I have used my quota, which as I havn't given any ticks, my tick quota must be zero.

i appreciate the pics and information - I can get P38 manifolds so modifying them as in your and other pics have infidicated might be the go.

Garry