hi all new member here , we are a small fabrication shop in Ottawa Canada, I am an ex pat came here 16 yrs ago ,we deal in LandRovers a fair bit and have been doing some experimentation with a HEMI transplant, they seem to be fast becoming the chev 350 or in your case ther rover v8 transplant engine of the future, the beauty is I have a supplier with a stand alone engine management system that is plug and play fully programmable and has a in dash programmer mounted with touch screen, so to that end I am trying to gauge the feelings from true Landy people of the amount of interest in a 5.7 or a 6.1 HEMI conversion, light weight and gags of parts and now with the Hellcat there is a factory supercharger to blow the 6.1 out to 700 hse!!!

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, right now out largest issue is an adapter plate to take the Hemi to the Landy trans, the rest is steel and welder work!!

look forward to hearing some feedback and we will make out progression in this venture accordingly, I think its a Bowler on a budget ready to happen!!!

Is this a brand new crate engine where we can get parts in the uk through dealers or an old engine that you'd ship over?

I think with the competitions that require speed from a highly modified truck you'd have a chance if you can provide backup too but it's not for mass market. Too big and too powerful for a stock rover. People are coming around to electrics in cars but there are still loads that just want an old chugger thst turns oil into smoke.

You could do with getting one into a car with a driver that's going to place to get it noticed.

Have a look at kit cars too, I know people who have spent crazy money and ended up with a rover v8 that's barely tipping 300bhp. They'd love it if the block would fit in a wide bodied 7 style kit or a cobra kit.

gearbox will be the problem...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine

6.1: 425 hp (317 kW; 431 PS) at 6200 rpm and 420 pound force-feet (569 N·m) of torque at 4800 rpm

6.2 hellcat 707 hp (527 kW) and 650 lb·ft (880 N·m)

there is now a 6L80 conversion that has available for the GM LS engines, not sure of HEMI <> 6L80 belhousing availability.

https://www.facebook.com/lrautomotive/posts/248578855329556

http://www.lrautomotive.com.au/contents/en-us/d4903_Current_Projects.html

I can't copy the link for some reason, but if you search http://www.defendersource.com/ for 6L80 you'll find the thread

Well I didn't want to mention that but yup everything on mine has been uprated

Atb diffs front, rear & centre

Pegged diffs

HD shafts + CVS

Hoping the std propshafts will hold out with hardy spicer ujs (hate to loose a foot over it)

If in the US or Canada I'd give a call into great basin rovers GBR Utah over drivetrains bits, may cut down on shipping costs (dead money), Ashcroft's are obviously the UK choice if you ask me and given you won't pay the VAT that would be a discount from what us lot have to pay

May as well import rolling chassis that accept a Land Rover body as nothing else downstream of the engine will live with the power.

Also, LR owners are tightwads, technophobes (most are clinging desperately to their aging mechanical turbo diesels), and petrol is £1.10 per litre over here / $6.60/gallon so no-one in their right mind is driving anything that gets less than ~25mpg for anything other than competiton use - and those boys have the money to import their own LSx and bolt it into their tube buggy thing.

Spares are a major issue for anything being used off-road, having to order from the states, wait for shipping, pay import duty, etc. etc. is a major downer as most yank stuff never makes it to Europe as no-one will tolerate the fuel consumption or general massiveness, so there's NO spares or aftermarket stuff generally available.

If you were importing International's development of the original 2/300TDi lump (HS TGV 2.8 and beyond, as fitted to some Ford Rangers if memory serves) you'd probably have people queueing up, until they found out it's £5k+ landed and spares are a pain, then 90% of them would go quiet.

hi all new member here , we are a small fabrication shop in Ottawa Canada, I am an ex pat came here 16 yrs ago ,we deal in LandRovers a fair bit and have been doing some experimentation with a HEMI transplant, they seem to be fast becoming the chev 350 or in your case ther rover v8 transplant engine of the future, the beauty is I have a supplier with a stand alone engine management system that is plug and play fully programmable and has a in dash programmer mounted with touch screen, so to that end I am trying to gauge the feelings from true Landy people of the amount of interest in a 5.7 or a 6.1 HEMI conversion, light weight and gags of parts and now with the Hellcat there is a factory supercharger to blow the 6.1 out to 700 hse!!!

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, right now out largest issue is an adapter plate to take the Hemi to the Landy trans, the rest is steel and welder work!!

look forward to hearing some feedback and we will make out progression in this venture accordingly, I think its a Bowler on a budget ready to happen!!!

I think this sounds like an awesome idea and in the USA there is probably some market for it.

In the UK though, price will be the limiting factor. Almost nothing has been sold here with the modern Hemi engine in. So you can't exactly go and buy one from a scrap yard/junk yard.

Which means your only real option is to buy a crate motor from the USA and ship it over. But this adds huge amounts of money.

So while there might be a handful of UK owners who might do this, I suspect there is little to no profit to be made, because the market will be so small in the UK.

And lets not forget, there are already adapter kits for the Chevy LS1 range of engines. These too aren't common in the UK either, but some UK cars were sold with them. So much easier to find than a Hemi.

The adapters allow a choice, either hook up to Rover transmissions or use a GM one and hook it up to an LT230.

If you feel more adventurous, then the Jag V8 is probably the most likely option here. As they are cheap and plentiful 2nd hand. Although not a straight swap at the moment.

And while the talk of 700 horse from the Hellcats sounds amazing (which it is). I'm willing to bet almost every Brit (including those on this forum) would have to Google what a Hellcat is. And frankly, the very vast majority of us have never even likely seen a 700hp car, let along really considered building one.

I knew what a Hellcat was......

And still I agree mainly with the sentiments as a Brit, really, 300+ BHP in a LR is getting silly over here, not really required.

As a yank market, with amazing, cheap Dana/whatever axles lying around in every junk yard I would say you would have a serious market -note I mention this as uprating LR axles to cope would cost more than converting the rest of the drivetrain on a DIY basis.

Robert - we've managed to destroy pretty much everything in the LR axles with 200 hp. I think if you go for more, you won't be able to use it anywhere near its full potential.

G

Gordon, I agree in competition use where everything is hanging on one wheel or a cross axled situation on an incline and you're giving it welly, but I'm hoping in my application (light off road use / mainly on road use I'm hoping that stuff will stand the abuse a little better by spreading the load across the drivetrane a little).

And I'm hoping not to be using low ratio at all given the torque transmitted would then be very high, but in high ratio should be no more than what the 2.4 TDCI does with the very high ratio MT82 in first gear (5.443:1! why oh why did they go with that ratio of a low reving oil burner...).

For completness... of conversion options, I came across this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-LT230-Transfer-Case-Adapter-Plate-to-NV4500-NV3550-/251957273232?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=RQwsE2AuWRSXMO1L8ed6gc38hrc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Which is an LT230 <> NV4500 / NV3550 adapter plate and spud shaft (same as the well known 4L80 route), which may be of use with someone having access to the NV4500 / NV3550's which I must admit know absolutely nothing about and not likely to see one in my lifetime... but someone's done one!

[bit off topic from the OP's original question now, there is some of the Khan (and similar) conversions that appear to be LS's with 6L80's, but to be fair I don't think their customer base will be frequenting LR4x4 anytime soon and admitting to owning one, so they probably will sell just not in high volume, and not to the do it yourself crowd, I am frequently however wrong...]

Rob

Agree Rob, needs to be used with a level head.

I'll be honest it is nice on a motorway when you have 350bhp under your right foot and you're just trundling along at 60 mph :)

G

hi all new member here , we are a small fabrication shop in Ottawa Canada,

You're not the same Simon, with the 101, I met on Justin's Canadian Off Road trip a couple of years ago - are you?

Either way - welcome to the forum. This is the best place for big / crazy ideas on-line!

Si

As with any landy engine transplant the transmission is the hardest part especially if you want to keep the LT230 which is by far LR's best transmission, i had thought of a hemi conversion years ago to my 85 RRC with TF727 which i believe the hemi still uses the old Chrysler bellhousing pattern.

Robert - we've managed to destroy pretty much everything in the LR axles with 200 hp. I think if you go for more, you won't be able to use it anywhere near its full potential.

Face it, some people can destroy everything with a 100hp TDi.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Exactly that. I've driven 500+bhp in a saloon car so was expecting performance somewhere in that region given the weight is not too dissimilar. Also have driven a john eales 4.6 v8 powered 110 which really felt quick, and the ls powered 90 didn't feel a whole lot better

Don't mistake me - it was quick, just not the throw you back, kick you in the guts quick I was looking for.

Also the engine produces so much torque and so little vacuum on tickover it was borderline dangerous to manoeuvre. Attempting a three point turn saw you reaching for the handbrake and stabbing the park button as after the first application of the brake you had exhausted much of the vacuum assistance and it was nigh on impossible to hold it stationary in drive with the footbrake alone