LT77 Breather

Hey all, I'm 99% sure my gearbox has a blocked breather which needs clearing. What's the easiest way to get at the banjo? Is it accessible from underneath or with cubby box removed, or is it required that I I remove the transmission tunnel?

If I can do it without touching the tunnel that would be great as its carpeted :(

You could try compressed air - I've zero experience of Defenders but on my Disco you would need fingers 12" long with biceps on every joint to get to the banjo without removing the centre console cover to get access to the little sucker, I'd advise you install a ARB vent filter to ensure it doesn't get blocked again. The ARB unit has 4 connections, 2 for the gearbox / transfer case and 1 for each of the axles.

yes I agree, it is a kerfuffle on a defender to get at when the box is in the vehicle, can reach in over the transfer box but the diff-lock and low range levers are in the way.

as boydie says, need to break your arm in 3 or 4 places and stretch your fingers and have eyes on stalks to get at it easily..

Sounds like it probably won't be happening from underneath then! :) I've checked out some pictures and it looks nicely accessible from above so ill try removing the cubby box first and see if i can get access that way. I'm just hoping I haven't done the box any serious damage due to lack of oil as I only realised there was a problem when I started having a problem with the 2nd gear syncro, knowing my luck though it's probably knackered!

The ARB vent looks really interesting, i didn't even know you could get something like that. Definitely one for the future.