Welding Trolley

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the old persons trolley today (along with a new to me Band saw).

I've been able to assemble it in a different way to how it should be and its worked out remarkably well.

I had to shorten the internal tubes that extend from the wheels and will need to hand drill a couple of holes for the clips to fit on the handles ..... but it fits very well :-)

I'll make an underslung shelf somehow to hold the gas and jobs done I think .... It cost me £8

9FDEBB7E-8904-4A05-BB78-129B0E055AD0.jpg

I'm pleased to get it ! Really nice old boy I bought it from with a garage full of 1930's Austins.

I've ordered some blades for it and I think it wants servicing and setting up better - but other than that it seems good. Onlythink I'm really unsure of is that I think there should be a plate to fit on for when it's upright - to make up a kind cutting table?

Horizontal band saws are a must have for anyone who does more than the occasional bit of fabrocation! Great things, shame they're not normally cheaper!

I gave £60 for it - which seems quite good based on past eBay sales.

Yes some do have a bed that bolts on to convert it to a vertical saw, I don't have one for mine, but you could make one fairly easily

I'm going to look into that - I think for cutting small pieces , for things like my engine mounts, it would be really useful.

This is good ....

It is - I made a similar detachable horizontal table for mine as the original was far too flimsy to be of any use to anyone - but making it permanent looks a much better setup.

Some other useful mods like the longer fence there as well, the holes for the milling clamps is a definite, I'll do that this weekend when I'm home.

On mine it really needs bracing between the front and rear leg as its a bit wobbly at times.

They are good. I've got an Axminster portable one.

If you're looking to buy one - don't buy the Axminster one!! It's carp!! It chewed off it's rubber drive band after about an hour's worth of cutting, the downfeed is carp, and the blade won't stay on the wheels....it drives me up the wall. Oh, and the bearing between bed and machine is so shoddy it'll never cut sqaure...this is all a brand new machine!

They are good. I've got an Axminster portable one.

If you're looking to buy one - don't buy the Axminster one!! It's carp!! It chewed off it's rubber drive band after about an hour's worth of cutting, the downfeed is carp, and the blade won't stay on the wheels....it drives me up the wall. Oh, and the bearing between bed and machine is so shoddy it'll never cut sqaure...this is all a brand new machine!

Virtually every 4x6 machine needs a lot of fettling to get it to work properly, think of it more as a kit. There is a really good 4x6 bandsaw group on yahoo groups IIRC, they are nice machines once you have rebuilt them ;) I have an Axminster swivelling one and it works alright now.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my trolley tonight - bought a sheet of half inch mdf to make the shelves. So all in its cost just over £16.

I'm pleased with it considering it's the cheapest option I had. It's stable and easy to move about. Also very handy to have things on there to hand.

C0D6F1E8-B2B3-4C62-B8E6-A91AA9F250C6.jpg

I've a couple of beginners questions too please ...

I've also put a new tip and neck on it - and gone upto 0.8 wire. So far I'd only used 0.6. Am I right that that will increase the current ?

Also someone suggested a glass flow meter was good to use and gave me one, which I've fitted - but I wonder if it's right having it plumbed onto the end of my regulator - as it effectively seems to be giving to controls to set the flow ?

I'll have to open the regulator to get the flow from there and that will be read by a gauge - and then open the valve on the glass and the flow there will be read again by there .... Have I goofed ?

87266B49-3B31-4A59-88AD-2A71FBEA1CE8.jpg

Oh :o

That would answer my question in as much as I'd just be taking it off then !

No that type of flow meter is very accurate and you should treat the first stage as a max setting , use the second stage to adjust the flow you need.

Just turn the first stage through 90 degrees and that will allow you to set the second stage vertical

HTH

• Like 1

There is a manual for the Clarke 100e on the Clarke tools website and it will give you current and wire feed settings

Ground clamp... You could get a magnetic clamp (fleebay) or you can buy clamps from companies such as riverweld (direct from China) along with tips and shrouds etc for not a lot

Thank you Robert.

I have the manual and printed off the wire speeds - though it always seems to be out, which I've put down to the voltage drop I get with my garage being at the end of the garden and my welder on the end of an extension from there...

I have been looking at the magnetic clamps - I remember HFH saying how pleased he was with him. It would seem to have a number of advantages.