Car thieves

I think the problem is that the criminal justice system is based on the threat of taking away something you value - be it money or freedom. If you're in a position where you don't think you have much of value - and maybe don't value your freedom then there isn't a disincentive regardless of the penalty. The risk / reward ratio looks more favorable.

I think what is required is a different kind of penalty. Something like community service (or public flogging ;) ). Something that involves a bit of public humiliation. However, I think the public, or perhaps more accurately the tabloid press wants 'revenge' - and things like community service are viewed as a soft touch. Thus it will probably never happen!

Si

I dont agree with that; I think any thief believes he/she will never get caught and therefore the penalty is irrelevant. In the case of car theft, this is sadly true l; most cars aren't found and therefore the thieves will have got away with it. Even if a thief gets caught once, there is probably not enough evidence to prove he/she did any other thefts, so he will get away with those.

I dont agree with that; I think any thief believes he/she will never get caught and therefore the penalty is irrelevant. In the case of car theft, this is sadly true l; most cars aren't found and therefore the thieves will have got away with it. Even if a thief gets caught once, there is probably not enough evidence to prove he/she did any other thefts, so he will get away with those.

Thats exactly what I said earlier, the risk is slight because the parts are un traceable. - there are plenty ass holes in Corsas that need new bonnets and bumpers and as long as they dont care where the parts come from its not going to end.

In the context of LR parts IMO Smartwater is worth considering - we use it at work and my house / 90 is drenched in the stuff. Cable and copper thefts dropped like a stone when we deployed it.

You are probably right - I just live in hope that there is an answer!

Si

Community service is a waste of time.... here that is and I'd imagine it would be the same over your way with all the PC BS

When I was the chairman of the local MTB club I got them in for trail building.... the management of it were real keen as this wasn't a "public" project and it is unfair making them work where they could be ridiculed

Things started well enough if you consider a 11 man team producing less than what me and the club secretary did in less time, but the trials were progressing.... then the PC carp started they had to take the sharp tools off them so they couldn't hurt themselves or some one else so no axes, machettes or even hand saws.... this lasted about 3 months

Then I got told that due to work strain injury's they would only be able to use rakes to brush aside pine needles all the rest had to be done by us lol I told them it wasn't worth the hassle of having them there, oddly they were disappointed

Personally I like public humiliation.... that means a bright pink uniform so everyone knows it and then make them clean gutters or pick up rubbish after public events out there where people can laugh at them and recognize them! and harder the work the better

I had a car stolen recently... guy took it for a test drive and didn't come back, I identified him to the police picked him out of a group of pic's (even listed the differences between when the pic was taken and now) a known con artist but because I had let him take it for a test drive it wasn't theft it was civil lol the only thing they were interested in was the fact he had a drivers licence for the fake name he gave me, odd this as my understanding and what I argued is this is fraud and is criminal, hell the vehicle he left me was stolen, they took that back

10 months later after I continually pushed the issue with every police board I found out about (have a folder thats over an inch thick to do with this) they tell me where the car was (they knew all alone were he was and worked) I knew the business so they held it for me lol it was striped of anything of value... tyres, trim, stereo, spot lights etc it was still drive-able because he had been driving it all this time in fact I found out he had been pulled over by the police for speeding and let go!

He was arrested and got 80 hrs community work and the bulk of that was because he jumped bail so effectively for the theft and my loss of around 4 grand he got 10-20hrs of sweeping pine needles, he is known to the police has commited $100,000's in scams (public record) and thats all he got

lol lets just say I'd like to see alot stiffer sentencing...

• Like 1

Then giving them extra thousands in dla, incapacity etc etc

What he giveth with one hand he taketh with the other. Or something like that.

I'd have a points system. You born with 10, every time your convicted by court you lose some. Maybe 1 for an asbo, 3 for a none violent crime and 6 for a violent crime. When you get to 0 it's a quick injection and into the furnace.

• Like 2

Having been the victim of theft more than once, I fully understand and sympathise with the sentiment but I have to disagree in the corporal punishment department. Punishments are no deterrent because no one commits a crime in the belief that they'll be caught - the fact that the murder rates in countries with the death penalty are no better, and often worse than in those without it shows this better than anything else.

I guess any society will always have a criminal element but i've a nagging feeling that crime rates will rise as the gap between rich and poor gets wider, hence the lower crime rates in social democracies like Denmark etc.

Touchpaper lit. Standing back :unsure:

Yes but if you go for my points system then once a consistent repeat offender has run out of points and they're bumped off they can no longer commit a crime. :ph34r::huh::glare::closedeyes:

The problem is that there's stealing to buy break and stealing to buy iphones, to me the 2 are very different crimes and I really don't think we are at the stage yet where people have to steal to buy bread.

No, we're at the 'covetting thy neighbours ass' point, people see the vast inequality of wealth (whilst being constantly shown products they can't afford but really must have by the mass media) and then use that as their rationale for a bit of Robin Hooding despite the fact they invariably steal from those only a little better off than themselves.

People keep telling me of these super rich that should bear the brunt of all the worlds economic pitfalls, however I'm not sure where they are, I haven'f found them yet! They say 5% of the country earn over £50K, if you consider that includes doctors, head teachers, MPs etc who I would consider to be no more than well off it doesn't leave much room for the super rich.

Either way that's ruined the post and doesn't help anyone including me who had my uninsured SJ pinched a few years ago and my car broken into 7 times in 4 years. :ph34r:

That's because you're casting your net too wide - 5%? How about "0.6 per cent of the British people own 69 per cent of the land on which we live"

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/johann-hari/britains-land-is-still-owned-by-an-aristocratic-elite--but-it-doesnt-have-to-be-this-way-483131.html

It was widely reported (Even the Daily Mail agreed) and the raw data is publicly available.

Again, no comfort and I understand the frustration. I'm just frustrated by our government protecting the interests of such a minority and giving soundbites about being tough on crime rather than attack the root cause.

...also, I don't think they're saying they should bear the brunt for no reason - they did cause the global meltdown after all! (not doctors and headteachers, obviously).

I agree that standard in the banking sector have slipped. My dad worked in banking for most of his working life. He started at the bottom and worked his way up. Back then the bank manager interviewed his mum and dad to ensure he was from an appropriate background to handle other people's money. When my dad wanted to get married he had to ask permission of the bank manager before he could ask the prospective father in law, only then did the prospective bride get a say. He wasn't allowed any debt whatsoever, if he had debt in his life he was deemed unfit to manage other people's money. The only debt he was allowed was a mortgage which of course he had to ask the bank manager if he was allowed one.

Compared to that the current trading practices are appalling however you have to consider that the banks have to operate within a set of rules. If these had been broken then the government were looking for someone to blame for the cuts they would've picked out a few scape goats to parade in front of us to deflect blame. There weren't many so I suspect they were operating within the standards allowed. Making fake money from fake money without adding any tangible value.

Personally I think new labour truly believed that given free reign the city could make enough money globally to run the country and in the same way many blame thatcher for decimating the mining industry I blame Blair for decimating uk industry. In both cases there are many other factors but everyone loves a face to aim their anger at :)

But that's just the rambling of an idiot :)