Ashcroft LT230 ATB Diff

Bodumatau, it will reduce center diff backlash, not necisarily all of transfer box backlash though. Judging by the quality of the machine work, and the fact the axle ATB's are miles stronger than a standard axle diff, i should suspect it will be quite a bit stronger than a standard center diff. (they are still lockable too)

hmm, want one, just a pity that ashcroft didn't mention the possibility when I recently bought a rebuild LT230 from them....

I am thinking of running them on my land rovers in Botswana, we have heavy rigs and tow big trailers in soft sand and our drivers think diff lock is "only for when you get stuck"..... so the front wheels spin a LOT when that td5 sings.....

I am just worried that they will struggle with our extreme heat and extreme loads.

It's removed a lot of backlash from the t/case.

The ATB is a hell of a lot stronger than the standard centre diff, i use my 130 for work and I'm confident it's more than up to it.

I'm in Australia, so climate wise similar to you, just keep decent oil to the t/case, at least a 75W-90GL5, MIL-PRF 2015E oil and it'll be fine (anything that is Mack G0-J Plus approved is a good oil),

And you don't want any LSD friction modifiers in the oil either, they'll reduce the bias ratio of the diff a little.

If you want, use an extended sump to give some more capacity.

yes we have those extended sumps on all our transfer cases and they seem to work, get an extra liter of oil in and have some nice cooling fins on the bottom side. we haven't measured the difference but I cannot see it doing anything but good.

yes we don't save on oil, only good quality recommended stuff goes in, we buy it by the 200 liter drum so it makes sense.

thanks for your input rick.

cheers

Bodumatau.

Bo - Where

Duma - call

Tau - Lions

Place where the lions call... in Setswana

spent many amazing safari days lost on Bodumatau island. started in the early 90's with an old broken Unimog.....(hate them) later in my 101, my first land rover :) and after that came the 130 Td5's and after that the 150 td5's...

and you are right that was a good few years ago,the Elephants have turned that sign into liquorice :D

How difficult is it to fit a new centre diff ? Is there bearings to preload ? And is a press required ?

You need to setup the bearing pre-load and running clearances between the drive hub, low and high gears.

A press makes it so much easier, and it's fiddly.

As I fitted Maxi Drive low range gears I had to do a trial build first, then dissamble and reassemble inside the case as the bull gear is too large to fit through the apperture. At least with standard gearing you can slot it in once you've built it on the bench, but getting the bearing pre-load right is a PITA IMO.

hmm, want one, just a pity that ashcroft didn't mention the possibility when I recently bought a rebuild LT230 from them....

I am thinking of running them on my land rovers in Botswana, we have heavy rigs and tow big trailers in soft sand and our drivers think diff lock is "only for when you get stuck"..... so the front wheels spin a LOT when that td5 sings.....

I am just worried that they will struggle with our extreme heat and extreme loads.

If you can justify the expense, I think the ATB would help a lot, and as I said, it's no where near as fragile as the open centre diff when unlocked and one end spinning.

I fitted a plate betwen the case and sump as you lose a little stiffness with the extended sump, the case may spread under big load.

I pinched the idea from one of the blokes here who has a 6B Cummins in his 101.

post-96-0-31237100-1436478967_thumb.jpg