The six-wheel-drive 4X4?

desormais

A very (very) long time ago I saw black and white film (perhaps British MOD in-house documentary stuff) showing a 'military' Land Rover climbing a steep hill towing a trailer on which was a one and half ton block of army-issue concrete! So impressive!

It seems that this was achieved by means of a drive shaft somehow taking torque from the LR rear axle to power the axle of the trailer. This suggests that the LR was not actually 'towing' the trailer but, perhaps, being pushed up the hill by the trailer. On insecure terrain the wheels of the trailer - with its hefty load - may actually have had more traction than the lightweight LR itself.

I saw this around 55 years ago, was so impressed by it, yet have never seen this principle used since that time. Yes, for hill climbing it would demand that a low enough gear ratio would need to be available (the Land Rover was never renowned for its engine power -in Australia all had to be fitted with a proper size Holden engine the mountings of which exactly matched the original engines) and, yes, it would involve the attachment of the extra drive shaft when fitting the trailer to the back. But for the sake of ensuring that wheel sizes matched all round etc. and for a few extra minutes to bolt a uni-joint together, this would surely provide a great increase of capability?

Perhaps this has been tried since then? Have I happened to miss that?

J.Clifford. Victoria. Australia.

Hmm, I don't know anything about the 55 year old version but did read a couple of decades ago about the same concept of a powered trailer being trialled and maybe even used in anger (there'll be someone here who know for sure) with the military forward control 101s. It was in an article, with photos, in Land Rover Owner International. I think power to the trailer came from the PTO output on the gearbox. From what I remember, the concept worked in certain situations but they had trouble with the trailer pushing the tow vehicle around sideways in slippery conditions. Of course, with modern torque balancing solutions, those problems could be overcome easily enough by a big enough wallet...

I have known people use a caravan motor mover to help them off a wet field when their fwd car with road tyres just couldn't quite get it going. Obviously very slow but it's just enough to get you our the ruts that the vans sunk into.

I think it would be dangerous if used at any speed unless you could control the side to side movement of the hitch or the tow vehicle was much heavier than the trailer?

When the 101 was being developed part of the development included a powered tailer to go with it. However it was found during testing that under some circumstance the trailer could push the vehicle over, and the idea was abandoned.

There was an expedition using FC101 with powered axle trailers that did an east west crossing ofthe Sahara a good few years back , that was very succesful .

The trailer is powered from the transfer box power take off . There are powered axle trailers used in some eastern European countries , in agriculture , IIRC tatra are involved , and also I seem to remember Mercedes doing something similar . I have used two landrovers connected together by a solid bar to get thru very bad conditions , but both drivers have to be very aware of what power and when to apply it . It works quite well as the more drive wheels the more chance there is of some finding enough traction to keep moving . As for holden engines in series landrovers , the very early ones were quite effective the later ones were not the engine to use at all, the chrysler hemi was much more effective . JMHO

What a weird coincidence. Yesterday, while looking for Series axle parts on ebay this came up in one of my searches...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Land-Rover-Series-Scottorn-Powered-Axle-Trailer-PTO-Leaflet-Brochure-/361333934486?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item54212e4996

I was intrigued so had a better look at it. It's post 1972/73 judging by the number plate.

$_57.JPG

More info here...

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/3rd-may-1963/156/a-6-x-6-land-rover-outfit

To the generous people who have responded to my initial and and oh so naive question I declare my heartfelt thanks. This, for an old bloke so far beyond my "use by" date, has been reassuring beyond description.

When you ask advice of someone whose reply begins "Oh, thats easy..." you need to wonder if that person has the slightest idea of the magnitude of your problem. It seems that when you ask advice of a 'Landy' person you get the unspoken suggestion "Ah, thats an interesting question..." followed by almost overwhelming expert information. Thank you 'Landy' people; it seems that my memory is not as 'silly' as I was begining to think it is.

Just on that little aside about Holden engines, my SWB Series II has a Holden 202 fitted (3.3 litre six cylinder for the uninitiated). It is a very nice engine for a Land Rover, though the carburettion falls apart on steep hills and it REALLY feels like it needs another top gear! It's gorgeously simple and compact though. A very popular conversion back in the day.

Just on that little aside about Holden engines, my SWB Series II has a Holden 202 fitted (3.3 litre six cylinder for the uninitiated). It is a very nice engine for a Land Rover, though the carburettion falls apart on steep hills and it REALLY feels like it needs another top gear! It's gorgeously simple and compact though. A very popular conversion back in the day.

had a lwb with , a 202 about 28 years back , they are nice and torquey, but you always had to watch the revs , the earlier versions although s;lightly smaller in capacity could handle the revs better . I converted the timing gear to an alloy one. I also fitted an SU carb to solve that little problem. An ashcroft high ratio tranfer box kit might solve the gearing issue .

An ashcroft high ratio tranfer box kit might solve the gearing issue .

That kit would almost certainly cost more than the whole Land Rover cost! I'm not worried about the gearing - it would be rare for it to do more than one mile on road! It's very much an off-road workhorse.