Defender front wipers & washer

Dear all,

OK, starting to get stuff sorted for the road trip up into the Highland of Scotland and hopefully later in the year possibly next. Ditched the idea of long range tanks, just going with jerry cans, one full on the roof with a couple of spares just in case.. Thanks for the advice everyone.

So now its down to doing prepartion work, doing bits n pieces.

As we all know the front washers are about as powerful as a mouse peeing on the screen.

How do I add heated waser jets and/or washer blades where there is a tube or series of jets attached to the blades?

OK I can purchase a pair of blades with the jets and fit them but then it's down to the plumbing etc.

Yonks ago we used to purchase new waser tubing. Wrap silver foil round a hot water hose close to the outlet, then wrap the new washer tubing round it. This worked to a fashion but eventually melted the tubing and resulted in a mess.

Is this still the case or is there something more substantial because knowing my luck I'll melt the washer tubing just when i need it the most.

Is there any kind of kit for both the washer blades and heated washers?

Cheers everyone.

There's a kit on eBay for heated washer fluid (believe it may be from webasto). Just mount the unit under the bonnet, then run the power switch to your dash, and main power back to a spare fuse near the battery. You then tee off the washer line running to the front windscreen. It's easy to install.

As for the sprayers, I'd just pull the single center spray; and add two sprayers where the plugs are for lhd wipers. It's a great mod, and more than enough juice to cover the screen.

Jabber,

Sounds just the ticket. Have you done this modification yourself?

Have you got any photos etc of work so that I can see what needs to be done.

I'm assuming that once the normal twin screen jet is remove the hole can be plugged!

You purchase another double screen was jet.

These then are fitted via the LHD wiper spindle holes.

Then its a case of splitting the fluid supply hose with a 'T' piece.

Is this about right?

That's it landypc. I'd buy two new jet blocks as the original tend to get a bit delicate with age. If the budget runs to it and you have the later under wing washer bottle then get a red topped washer pump too.

Mo

This one is much cheaper.... While across the pond, you could still be ahead; and it's generally the same thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Webasto-HotShot-Microheat-MH34SA-Windshield-Washer-Fluid-Heater-Deicer-NIB-/191450387632

Attached is a pic of both squirters... When you pull the plugs for the LH wipers, save one for replacing the center squirter. As mentioned, just purchase two new... Mine broke off when I removed it.

post-15946-0-20153300-1436914687_thumb.png

I made a heat exchanger from a couple of bits of copper pipe , that routed the washer fluid thru the outer jacket the inner was plumbed into the heater pipe , that worked well on an old diesel series I had back in the 70's , the demister wasnt the best in those :)

• 1 month later...

You guys are insane. I've never ever seen a vehicle that heats the washer fluid. I'm in Canada. -40 happens every year.

Youll find cars such as BMW with a cold weather package will have these, were made for northern europe etc.

I had a 01 5 series that had heated washer fluid, heated side view mirrors, heated front window where the wipers sit, heated door key barrel, and oil sump heater.

All of these turned on when you unlocked the car.

The twin washer upgrade is very straightforward and of course uses standard parts, did it to my 90 15-years ago and the single pump is more than powerful enough to deliver all the water needed for four jets at any speed.

About 5-years ago I replaced my reservoir for a twin-pump unit (soft-top with no rear wash/wipe), I didn't do it because the single pump unit was lacking in any way but because the twin-pump reservoir had greater capacity. With a pump serving each washer the flow of water is exactly the same but I have the reassurance that I have more fluid available.

Youll find cars such as BMW with a cold weather package will have these, were made for northern europe etc.

I had a 01 5 series that had heated washer fluid, heated side view mirrors, heated front window where the wipers sit, heated door key barrel, and oil sump heater.

All of these turned on when you unlocked the car.

They have heated washer nozzles. Not the fluid. This is to clear ice that forms on the outside of the nozzle from the weather.

I did the two nozzles - well worth while. It's much more effective and even uses less fluid.

You have to take the top of the dash out, but it's very straight forwards. Just a blanking grommet for the centre, large washers and or grommets for the sides (as the holes are a little larger), a t piece and some extra tubing.