Thinking of a Wolf ambulance....

tweetyduck

Which springs do you have FF? I am running britpart (don't start)....... yellow (painted black) HD DA4208 +40mm at the back with LR oem wolf hd front drivers side springs x2 at the front.

Ride is rock hard at back, but needs these for the 500kgs+ of load some of which is in the wolf roll cage (nice and high), squashes most of the 40mm back down with a full load on.

According to the previous owner: The springs on there are ANR3540 rated at 8055kg, Green/pink markings.

They are very OTT though, we put (literally) a ton of tools & gear in the back when clearing the garage out and it hardly budged on the springs but rode much better :blink: once we've tucked up the various other jobs on it we'll weight it on a weighbridge front & rear and work out what it actually needs.

I suspect your shtpart ones are just really stiff, that's how they usually achieve cheap lift, and it won't be doing you any favours. Properly rated standard-height springs would likely fare much better. You assume you need very heavy springs but how much does the ar5e of an unladen Pulse ambulance really weigh? I'd guess whatever they had as standard when in service would be plenty, as they would've been rated for carrying people & medical kit etc. across rough terrain.

My Range Rover ambulance would roll stupidly on bends, sproinging about like a jack in the box. For the Africa trip I swapped the springs for the heaviest duty OME (as a Rangie it has the narrow rear springs, had to get the very heaviest duty disco springs).

On-road handling transformed, even though it was raised nearly 2" also.

It could also handle serious extra weight, and rides much nicer with it.

However, I wouldn't go this route again. Off road was ok, but travelling on corrugated roads was painfully jarring and ended up doing damage to the chassis (cracked it). In future I'll put up with a bit of roll in favour of a smoother ride on ragged roads.

Best way to minimise the roll is get all the weight down low in the first place. Carry less beer.

Ha ha.

I jsut sold all the Ali for £35 at the scrap place. I should have got £60 but half was "contaminated" with some rivnuts and a few hinges. So make sure its all drilled out if you take it. I got 45p / kg for clean and only 17p/ kg for the mixed and i thought i'd got it all. So even one rivnut and they marked it as mixed. I could not be bothered to take it back and drill them out. Theres approx 150kg of beds in just metal. the headrests and belts and stuff are extra. I rekon at least another 100kg.

Cheers Neill. So best case scenario i've got 1000kgs to play with, worst case ~800kgs.

I still plan to raise the roof on mine so i've got a little weight in the extra framework but using Alu should keep the weight down. I think the biggest challenge is to try and retain the aesthetics. Replacing the edge sections with like for like will be impossible unless I can find somebody scrapping a body.

Do you have any pictures of your conversion so far?

Just incase anybody else needs one, the V55/5 came through in 4 days. I ordered one on-line and another through the call centre on the same day. Both came on friday.

The put them on a 4.7 tonne armpured so they should be enough. Get em sprayed.

I think there are some 1.5T "blindo" wheels but consider wolfs are 2.2T.

I belive the WMIK rims are 1.55T each but info is scetchy.

Do your homework before purchase.

they are off a 300tdi,

I only have the 5 wheels

So what you got thats 24v...Starter, Alternator? Relays and stuff? I'm interested if they are working. I'd need photos and numbers off them so i can check they are good for me. Also one wheel.