How does everyone keep themselves motivated on a project?

Hi all,

I, like many others in the LR world have a long term restoration project. Mine is a 1959 Series II,

Its on a galv chassis, the engine and box are in, I've had it running once or twice, the axles are under it etc and the bulkhead, tub and interior are in, and painted (inside only)

Its waiting on front wings which i recently picked up before i can start on exterior paint. (I want to paint it all in one go to ensure a good colour match)

The problem is, i never ever work on it. Its been in the exact same state for around 2 years now, and i never have any motivation to work on it. Ive had some setbacks, the thing doesn't drive currently and it just gets in the way in my workshop which means its stored in another shed and therefore never thought of, and a PITA to take the tools round to it or move it.

I know once i get it running and driving i will be more motivated as it will be easy to move in and out the workshop.

anyone have any suggestions? i sometimes get urges to go and work on it and then decide i really cant be bothered. Its a shame, because so far its looking really quite smart, but things are starting to sieze up on it now like the pedals and the steering. which is even more offputting.

:(

depends on how organised your mind is ..

I have to make lists and then go out every day and do at least two things off that list.

Its worse now I work abroad as I have to cram into weekends and the odd week off but unless I keep momentum I just end up with crates and boxes of parts.

chip away at it and suddenly you find that the list is almost done.

Only you can solve the motivational thing , you either want to do it or not , if you cant get and do it you are either trying to do too many other things or its lost the magic , in the latter case you might as well sell it , otherwise you will end up as what the Ozziez call a Gunner , as in going to do this or that . :)

I think your (and others) problem is too many projects. your series 3 appears to get all the attention about all the time; no wonder the series 2 isn't getting the attention it needs. Still doing with only 1 landy and use a eurobx to get to work. And not spending enough time on that 1 landy!

Daan

I have similar issues, as above the problem is too many things to be doing. I have the 110 project which hasn't seen much progress in five years, then the Series III which has done about 1,500 miles in the same time period - the 90 keeps me pretty busy due to its age and the mileage I am doing, there's always at least one job to do on it. Plus the house, garden, workshop to finish off. Add in work and it's a wonder anybody gets anything done! At least I'm on my own, I dread to think what it's like with a family to look after as well. Really I should sell the Series III as it's not being used properly, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

The only way to overcome it is to just set aside the time and force yourself to do it. I often find some of the jobs I am dreading are really not that bad once I'm stuck into them. It may help to invite some friends round to help? Could be a useful boost to motivation if you can have a chat/laugh with some mates while doing it - plus many hands make light work and all that :)

In the past I've been asked how I find the time to cut through projects as fast as I seem to. The answer is simple, and may help you!

Draw up a list of tasks, each ideally taking 30 to 60 mins.

Everyone can find 30mins a day - and sometimes more. Every day, instead of watching TV or whatever, pick something off the list, complete it & cross it out. It's astonishing how fast everything gets done. If you're bored of one aspect - you can do something different that day.

It soon becomes a ritual - like brushing your teeth.

It really works - and all you loose is 30mins a day!

Si

• Like 1

For me it's remembering the reason I started the project , whenever it looks like a pile of bits I just pick a job and hit it , even if it's sorting out

wiring routes and preparing parts to build a new loom , which may not get done for months , but when I pick up the crate I know it's ready .

..............anyway you're only running at 0.2 of a Warne if you've not done much for 2yrs ;)

cheers

Steveb

I was going to say pretty much what Simon has said, in fact I probably got the idea from him :)

I too make a list on my white board, each job taking an evening, or bigger jobs broken down into half hour to hour segments. I try to do three evenings a week in the garage but work and life commitments don't always allow it.

By far the biggest motivator for me is my mates. We all get together on a Saturday, at one friends workshop, we do jobs on our own cars, help each other out, have a few brews, take the p1ss out of each other, have some cake, and finish the day with a beer. It's our routine, our ritual, it's been going on for probably six years now and everyone makes the effort :)

Can you get any mates involved to 'break the back' of some of the tasks remaining? This will give you a mental boost even if the actual progress is minimal

Agree on the list thing. Break tasks down as many small items as possible, just so you get to tick a job off more easily. That's good for getting a sense of achievement.

I've been struggling badly with motivation for some months, but I have achieved quite a bit at times when I'm on a high.

As James has noted, family life doesn't leave a lot of time, never mind mental strength for projects. Quite often when I've got the kids to bed it's difficult to not just end of on the sofa watching TV. I hate doing that - it's such a time waster.

I've barely touched my 110 in 3 weeks now - it's so close to completion, but at times seems so far. At least it's the only LR I'm working on, but there's the house, the garage workshop, the garden also after my time.

Driving the eurobox is driving me nuts. I so need to get back in the 110 :|

Interestingly I have a slightly different slant. I've got to a point on the ibex where it's not going to be finished for a planned trip no matter what I do so I've got a fairly quick project to do as a change of scenery for a while.

The other thing that can work is put it up for sale at a sensible price. If it sells fine if it doesn't your stuck with it so you best get it finished.

Mike

As many know I got dis-heartned several times, but then I'm a fussy git and had to do it right which took even longer govened by funds mainly, and then time.

I did what Simon suggested made a list of everything which needed doing, this can make it look worse at first !, but ticking them off make it look better, did a little bit every night quick and easy jobs and the bigger jobs over the weekend. and I did have to force myself to get and do it, but the end was worth it.

Years ago I would have spent every minuite I could trying to get it built, but this one I made it secondary to life in general.

This is a helpful thread !

I think the bite sized jobs is a great plan - but I also think accessibility is key to it too.

For ages my workshop was a tip and it would have involved lots of work just to clear a space and get the tools together - once I sorted that it became possible to just pop in and spend as little time as I had - but the time was all going into something productive.

Similarly my series 1 has been in a garage with no power, no space, and a wet gravel floor .... To do anything on it meant pulling it out and transporting my tools to it etc - a couple of hours work just to set up and clear up. So I've just got a new prefab garage sorted and will hopefully be getting a hand to move it in today. I'm looking forward to benefitting from the same ease of access.

I may also now look to pick up a whiteboard.

The only other thing I've done is not give myself a hard time if I don't make progress - putting myself under pressure or making myself feel like I'm failing doesn't do anything for my motivation.

This is a helpful thread !

I think the bite sized jobs is a great plan - but I also think accessibility is key to it too.

For ages my workshop was a tip and it would have involved lots of work just to clear a space and get the tools together - once I sorted that it became possible to just pop in and spend as little time as I had - but the time was all going into something productive.

Similarly my series 1 has been in a garage with no power, no space, and a wet gravel floor .... To do anything on it meant pulling it out and transporting my tools to it etc - a couple of hours work just to set up and clear up. So I've just got a new prefab garage sorted and will hopefully be getting a hand to move it in today. I'm looking forward to benefitting from the same ease of access.

I may also now look to pick up a whiteboard.

The only other thing I've done is not give myself a hard time if I don't make progress - putting myself under pressure or making myself feel like I'm failing doesn't do anything for my motivation.

I like to keep my workshop in a useable state, however being only 1 bay large, the series 2 spends most of its time in another shed!

Some good advice here.

Sometimes it's better to admit you can't be ar5ed or don't have the time and just sell the thing to someone who does rather than keeping hold of it & feeling guilty.

Or you can decide to have a proper crack at it - clear a space, book some days off, stock up on coffee & hobnobs, make job lists, accumulate parts and then hit it hard.

If you find one job dragging, or feel like you're not getting anywhere, stop and do something else, either another job on the project or something else entirely. Even if it's something small and unimportant like painting a door hinge or scraping rust off something, it just gives you a small easy job you can get on with & feel like you've made progress.

Having some event booked as a target can also focus the mind - decide you're going to take the truck on holiday, or to a particular event, and BOOK IT. That way you've got something to look forward to, you can envisage the fun you'll have and also you have to go through a few hoops to cancel (and potentially lose money) which makes giving up that little bit less attractive.

Having some event booked as a target can also focus the mind - decide you're going to take the truck on holiday, or to a particular event, and BOOK IT. That way you've got something to look forward to, you can envisage the fun you'll have and also you have to go through a few hoops to cancel (and potentially lose money) which makes giving up that little bit less attractive.

OK, this made me chuckle. While having some validity, I have always found booking into an event has the unfortunate tendency to guarantee a breakdown the day before. Maybe that's just my luck...

OK, this made me chuckle. While having some validity, I have always found booking into an event has the unfortunate tendency to guarantee a breakdown the day before. Maybe that's just my luck...

Being booked on a ferry to Russia as the tow-vehicle and tech truck for the also-not-built race car certainly focused my mind on the 109! :blink:

Unfortunately it looks like Helen has cottoned onto this tactic and has booked the ferry to France for the currently unfinished ambulance, of course I can't actually complain about it with previous form like that :rtfm:

I've found it a little difficult to keep motivated over the last few months. The main trouble just being a total lack of time at the workshop. Spending 6 months on shifts at work totally ruined the hour-or-two at the work shop on the way home from work as I was either at work, or by the time I'd had dinner and cleared up its bed time for the early shift. However, spending that time earning the money meant that for the most part I wasn't spending it so I have a good buffer in the bank for the next couple of stages.

Lists.... best think since sliced bread. Even if I haven't got the time (or sometimes the inclination after a 19hr shift at the other job!), I can sit down and think through a few things and add the steps to the 'bible'. I've got an A5 note book that gets referred to as the bible. I've got pages of to-do lists/calculations/shopping lists etc. It really helps to plan things and it means that when I find myself at the workshop unexpectedly I've immediately got a list to work from (I top up the list on the whiteboard from the bible). Taking the little blue book with me to work/long journeys/dinner table is perfect for when you remember that job to do, or remember something that needs ordering.

I also suffer the same affliction that Les does, I'm overly anal about everything being perfect which adds so much time to even the most simple of jobs. I've thought about booking into an event or trip of some sort, but that would then force me to rush things and cut corners which I don't want to do.

The planning goes back as far as the previous bout of shifts at work 2 years ago.... I spent most of the time planning the wiring for the car. Working out what each of the circuits needs and drawing the wiring diagrams for it. I worked out I spent over 200hrs on it. So I've got boxes tucked away in the workshop containing all the fuse holders/connectors/relays/switches I'll need to build the car.

Good motivation is also buying shiny stuff ready to fit :P