24 Volt Army - Basic Help

tweetyduck

So its a 24V alternator and two batteries in serial ?

Whats actually 24V on the car apart from the alternator ?

anything?

Surely the glow plugs and light and dials and stuff are still 12v???

Wiring loom still esentially the same?

Anything you say...I will certainly not know. Spill the beans people.

if it's a 24v pure pulse ambulance, pretty much every electrical component which draws current is 24v. i.e any/all bulbs, wiper motor, blower motor, heated mirrors, horn, relays, glow plug timer, glow plugs, both? alternators, starter motor, eberspacher heater, any ecu's if it's got an electronic egr unit.

levelling headlights motors are 24v, and starter relay

The standard switches and wiring loom will be the same as 12v. it's just carrying a voltage

Blue light and siren circuit will be 24v, along with any illuminated switch tell tales and the hazard unit relay.

Think there is a 24-12v regulator for the fuel sender, not sure about the temp sender and gauge.

To fit or use any 12v items you will need a dropper 24v-12v, i.e cigarette lighter plug will deliver 24v, trailer socket will be 24v (so anything you tow will need 24v bulbs)

on a positive note you will be able to start puma/lynx helicopters :blink:

Pete

Thanks a million.

Are they a PITA to look after. As we are off overlanding in it would it be better to downgrade to 12V ?

Is that even possible?

Only thing I own that will work on 24v is the fridge........

It is entirely possible to convert it to 12v, after all it's a defender. The main reason you would want to is for part availability. i.e you can't get 24v bulbs from halfords. A wolf blower motor or wiper motor when they do occasionally come up are going for £200 upwards each on ebay. Dealer prices will make your eyes water. 24v relays are another hard to find.

24v alternators and starter motors may be difficult to source also. Technically the 24v alternator is 24v because of the regulator pack......but the starter can't be changed.

I run 12v and 24v on my mil defender, 12v for the LR body/lights wiring and the 24v feeds the military radio kit and runs my inverter and 24v eberspacher. The systems share a common ground but run on seperate batteries.

I have 4 batteries, 2 running in parallel (from the 12v alternator) in the seat box with a national luna split charge kit for 12v, then 2 in series running off a 24v wolf alternator which sits in the aircon position on top of the engine.

My 101 is 24v and I have no particular issues with it - every thing is 24v as built except the fuel pump which is 12v by design but has an OEM step down unit. In its simplest form you can get cheap 24v to 12v reducers to run 12v items. On a expedition vehicle you do not want hosue items such as camping lights and fridges etc to be running off your starter batteries so at least one additonal 12v battery shoudl be fitted isolated from the starter battteries (applies to a 12v vehicle equally). I currently have a second 12v alternator fitted to my engine but I am going to change this to a 24v - 12v DC to DC battery charger.

I have not had any issue getting 24v consumables such as light bulbs and relays, afterall most small trucks are 24v so shop at truck spare parts shops.

Cheers

Garry

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if there should be power to the Arial connector up in the roof?

I'm looking to power some spot lights on the front of the body above windscreen and cable is there with a four pin, screw type connector but I'm not getting any power from it  would it have been disabled or is it missing something crucial

I have chased the wire back to a relay in the battery box so I assume there should be power at some time

I'm not aware of an Arial connector but if you mean the massive one thats on the front right of some Pulses. The massive box thing? then having checked the wiring diagram for the fitted for radio its difficult to tell. I would need more info and photos to assist. The Pulse wiring does not cover the radio version.  I will do more digging but some more descriptions would help.

Don't want to worry you about the sort of life it might have had but.........

Oh and the aerial is roof mounted on this particular vehicle.

A friend of mine was on the Land Rover development team for WOLF and pulse. He found it quite an enlightening experience, the level of abuse meted out to the vehicles by the military "testers". None of this going down hill in low first with all feet clear of the pedals, more flat out in top to see what broke when it landed in a heap at the bottom 

Edited by neil110

21 hours ago, Mark Farrell said:

Does anyone know if there should be power to the Arial connector up in the roof?

I'm looking to power some spot lights on the front of the body above windscreen and cable is there with a four pin, screw type connector but I'm not getting any power from it  would it have been disabled or is it missing something crucial

I have chased the wire back to a relay in the battery box so I assume there should be power at some time

cable marked with two yellow identifiers DCCU (PWR)  and PWR - 070  GD 400 320- 0540 - 8 REV 2 07 KCPR2 01055

I have chased cable back to relay in battery box under seat.

Maybe it needs a signal from a controller to energise??

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0685[1].JPG