100 Inch Defender

Defender

Anyone got a 100 Inch Defender they could post some pics of?

Toying with the idea of building one but wondered what others had done to give me some inspiration.

Or should I just buy a 110 and cut the back off to give the look I want :)

This is mine...

post-2025-0-27787400-1436739366_thumb.jpg

The rear section of the tub has slightly less overhang than a 90 to improve departure angle and the rear tub itself, behind the cab, is the same size as a 90 tub so I have the option of fitting a 90 tilt or Ifor Williams canopy.

• Like 1

Slight hi-jack, Mr Lang - can I ask how you shortened the roof neatly please? Will be adding a hard top to mine shortly and not sure if it's best to try and re-make the return at the back, or use the existing one and join with a filler strip on the inside.

Slight hi-jack, Mr Lang - can I ask how you shortened the roof neatly please? Will be adding a hard top to mine shortly and not sure if it's best to try and re-make the return at the back, or use the existing one and join with a filler strip on the inside.

It's quite easy, i've done it twice now, with the original ribbed roof, and the current smooth roof. Just un-stitch the rear panel from the roof skin, cut through the gutters and remove the end panel, shorten the roof skin by however much and re attached with rivets and plenty of sealant.

post-7-0-88305500-1436969440_thumb.jpg

Yes Les 10 years, it's due a rebuild now as there are lots of little things which need updating / replacing.

You would be hard pushed to tell Dave's truck isn't factory built and I can vouch for it's capabilities.

Mike

The proportions just look so right too! It looks so much more versatile than a 90 and easier to live with than a 110! I wander why LR dropped the idea? I'm sure there would have been a large demand!

• 5 years later...

I have a 100 inch defender built about 6 years ago, new heavy duty galvanised chassis, galvanised bulkhead, and many other steel parts galvanised, discovery 2 axles, 2.8 tgv tdi, 90 tub so better seating in front, and easy to replace if needed, wolf cage and wolf hardtop for winter, everything beefed up from axles to gearbox, etc, with Ashcroft stuff throughout, including air lockers… the whole truck as been linex for extra durability…

On 7/12/2015 at 2:38 PM, Defender said:

Anyone got a 100 Inch Defender they could post some pics of?

Toying with the idea of building one but wondered what others had done to give me some inspiration.

Or should I just buy a 110 and cut the back off to give the look I want :)

Before you start on any project the thread below has some very sound advise regarding the use of non-standard components.

Mike

Dont shorten a 110 chassis you get into the whole realm of modified vehicles and kit cars with DVLA

Use a 100" disco chassis and keep it registered as a disco, you can put whatever body on it you want.  Vehicles with a separate chassis it is the chassis that provides the vehicles identity in DVLA 's eyes.  Make sure the VIN is easy to read in the correct place on the chassis.

Peter

Actually, modifying the chassis from disco to defender DVLA will definitely want a chat with you.

Radically Altered Vehicle is the territory you stray into then, try a Google, everything explained clearly.

23 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Actually, modifying the chassis from disco to defender DVLA will definitely want a chat with you.

Radically Altered Vehicle is the territory you stray into then, try a Google, everything explained clearly.

This would depend. I have spoken to them and have correspondence with them pretty much saying they would deem it as only a body swap. However, the entire thing is a self assessment and certification process. There are no hard and fast rules, only guesses and interpretations. Which means, the DVLA have plenty of rope to come after you if they suddenly decide too. If they don't, then they probably don't care.

On 6/30/2021 at 3:40 AM, Troll Hunter said:

Before you start on any project the thread below has some very sound advise regarding the use of non-standard components.

Mike

Considering the initial post was 2015 - they might have built it already... :D but then again we all like to think about things for a little while before dipping the toe in...