Bleeding Brakes on C202

valp

As a newbie, I am hoping you will accept my forum membership even though my vehicle is a Volvo. When Volvo made the Laplander C202 for civilian market 1974 to 1981, they transfered production to Hungary. They made about 3,000. They sourced quite a few bits from the Landrover "parts bin" for production. Particullaly brakes and some clutch stuff.

I am rebuilding one in the UK. One of my many problems has been the brakes (the Laplander was sitting for 25 years outside before I got it) I have sourced all the bits for the brakes, wheel cylinders and shoes from Landrover parts suppliers, with some new pipe work I have got to the stage of Bleeding the brakes. Each front brake has 2 cylinders from LR 109 6/8 cylinder..Series 3? maybe Forward control.

I still have air in the system and feel it is due to these front cylinders. Is there a system or tips I can try ?

The cylinders have the pipe inlet and bleed nipple. does it matter which way round this is?

The master cylinder I could not replace so it was rebuilt/rebored and sleeved by Past Parts co. I managed to get a new seal kit from Sweden.

Thanks for your attention.

post-107931-0-01735900-1437933374_thumb.jpg

Hi, welcome to the forum.

When bleeding the brakes make sure the adjusters are fully backed off so the brake cylinder pistons are pulled into the cylinders as far as possible.

I don't think it matters which hole the nipple goes in.

I found this pic on the net, may help.

post-2781-0-40197600-1438027377_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Whereabouts in the UK are you? My parents recently sold the one that had been sitting in their back garden for a number of years and I know it is being restored.

For the brake system how have you piped it up? The original Volvo setup was twin line with each line doing one cylinder on each front wheel and then one of the rear wheels.

Maybe worth blocking the brakes overnight and seeing if it helps. Or try bleeding across the master cylinder, then the next joint etc... Maybe a high point trapping air in the braking system somewhere.

Regards

Ed

Thanks Ed.

I am in the middle south coast and am always open to make contact with other owners. These C202s vehicle is some what rare in UK and bits are hard to source.

I have stood back from the brake problem at the moment, should be able to get back on it this week.

I started to get the clutch back together so I could refit the engine and now find that the lever that operates the fork/release bearing is made for cable clutch where as mine is hydraulic. I could botch it and try to alter it to fit but would prefer the proper thing.

Attached is a photo of the C202 from a previous owners in the 1980s with some Landys. Since then it has lost its back cab and is now a pick up.

Cheers

post-107931-0-40649400-1439217246_thumb.jpg

Slightly late to this, but is the bleed nipple in the top cylinder or the bottom cylinder?

In case of the bottom cylinder (like a landrover), bleeding is impossible. You can re-route the brakelines or try to bleed before you refit the backplate.

Daan

• 2 weeks later...

Bleeding Land Rover brakes is very often more art than science. I recently spent over a year trying to get the bakes on my much modified Series 2B to behave. Somehow, whatever I did (including using an Easybleed and bleeding backwards) I could never get rid of all the air. The problem was eventually isolated to the master cylinder, which was a new item. It seemed to be able to suck air into the system whilst bleeding was happening.

The cure came with replacing the "correct" item (a "big nut" series 2 item) with a series 3 non-servo one (the only one that would physically fit).

I still don't understand it, but they work now.