Fuel Lift Pump Not Engaging on the Crank

G'day All,

I got a bit carried away on the Withams auction site a few months back and bought a fixer upper military defender. It's a non-runner but in pretty good condition body-wise however I can't get it running. The problem is with the lift pump, there was no fuel going through it so replaced the pump but that didn't fix it. On closer inspection of the pump, both the old and new work fine it seems they're not engaging on the crank. Has anyone ever come across this problem before? Advice would be greatly appreciated on possible causes / solutions.

Engine is a 2.5NA Diesel on a 1995 Rover.

Very many thanks,

Dave

Seems wierd, I can't imagine the lobe on the cam being worn to the extent that the pump doesn't, erm, pump? if it is then its the least of your worries(!). Can't really see how it couldn't work if its the correct part.

Have you tried pumping the pump (with it fitted) by hand with the lever beneath, to see if it will actually pull fuel through it manually, I just wonder if you are misreading the problem....especially as the original pump appears OK......could be the fuel pickup pipe in the tank is blocked, or similar, preventing fuel flow?

Keep us posted!

Paul

I'm 99% certain that the engine has to be at TDC on No.1 piston before you can get the pump lever to locate on top of the camshaft lobe which will be at it's lowest position (as in under or at the bottom of the camshaft), if its in any other position the pump lever will slot under the lobe and it obviously wont operate.

The engine wouldn't turn over very far if the timing belt's broken enough to not turn the cam.

I beg to differ, once the valves are out the way via bent pushrods or broken rocker shaft the engine will spin very freely.

• Like 2

Lift pump is common part to all 4 cylinder diesel engines up to & including 200tdi. NOT for 300tdi.

was ETC7869 now STC1190 http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/92301/0/fuel_lift_pump_2_5___200tdi_diesel

This is the 300tdi variant http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/85071/0/fuel_lift_pump_300tdi_discovery_1___range_rover_classic___defender

G'day all, thanks for all the suggestions, overwhelmed with the advice, thank you!

The pump is definitely the correct part and does work, i did test it i.e. was able to prime the system with the manual primer. I will check Boydie's suggestion on making sure the camshaft is in the right position when fitting and I will double check the spacer situation again. If no joy there, looks like it might well be have a look inside time for potential engine carnage!

Will keep you posted and thanks again to all.

Dave