Discovery rear door sub wiring (again)

dave88sw

Hi,

I have an aftermarket stereo fitted and have done the little wiring mod to connect the head unit to the standard rear sub (connect the wires to an rca connector). My head unit has both Left and Right outputs but obviously the sub input has only 1 rca connector so it is currently just plugged into the right hand side. It works fine most of the time but some songs that fade from one side to the other sound very odd as the left fade doesn't play. I have found a few "y-adaptors" online that join both left and right outputs into one connector, would it be worthwhile fitting one of these?

Thanks

Dave

Bass uses both channels as its mono, so use the dedicated preamplifier output from the head unit, also are u sure your head unit a "sub input" normally it's only outputs for audio as is the L &R channels

The head unit has 2 rca's labelled left/right, in the instructions and on the selectable menu on the head unit you can switch the output to "rear" or "subwoofer", it is currently switched to sub. As far as i know, even when switched to sub, both outputs are seperated left/right. That's why i was thinking of using a "y-adapter" that joins both outputs into one connector.

Thanks for the reply

Only two Rca's, okay then a Y adaptor is what you will use.

When 'sub' is selected the audio signal will be identical and mono on both channels with the higher frequencies attenuated or depending on the head unit u have that can be done from the settings, 50Hz to 125Hz for example depends on how low u wish your bass, as well what the loudspeaker can handle.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll see how i get on, i've replaced all the 4 inch speakers for better quality ones and i'm thinking of changing the little subs in the back door, i'm not expecting anything amazing but a small improvement would be nice.

Thanks again