TPS ERR4278 - Alternatives?

Quagmire

Guys,

After MS2ing my Rover P6 a few weeks ago I have finally got round to taking it out for a proper run tonight. It goes like a missile but it looks like my TPS is a bit ropey...

the Thottle position gauge dances all over the shop and reviewing the logs its triggering massive doses of Accel enrichment as a result, causing the car to jerk about.

The part number I need is ERR4278, however these cost a fortune! Does anyone know of a more reasonably priced equivalent with the same connector, or if not can I simply use the older style one with the wires? I'd rather not do this though as it will mean mucking my loom about.

Thanks!

... I'll put my neck out here....

it doesn't really matter which one you use or any throttle potentiometer from any vehicle, given all they do is give a voltage back to the ecu which is programmed in for closed and full throttle....

a potentiometer is a potentiometer (providing the resistance is reasonable, and I'm guessing they will be something like 5K (5 kilo ohm) pots or 10K.

to things can happen to them.... they can oxidise from a lack of use and get dead spots or the can wear out as the wiper goes over the same track hence there is dead spots.

the first one (oxidise) could be sorted by by repeatedly swinging the pin around (sometimes easier in your hand for 20 mins say)

worn wiper ... need a replacement solution..

(wait for someone like Nige to advise differently / confirm though before rushing off and getting another or making one).

Thanks Robert! I realise I could just use any old tps from an electrical point of view my main wonder is the bolt hole spacing and use of the three pin junior timer connector.

Ideally I'd like to find a bolt on replacement that uses this same connector- I can't believe it was only used on LR products! Or knowing LR maybe I should... Ha!

I the meantime I will see what, if anything, I can do to it to get a smoother reading.

To be honest perhaps I should just bite the bullet and fit an easy/cheap to source alternative now, with the correct plug and be done with it.

Cheers

...I may be wrong here but suspect the change may be for a Lucas connector to a Bosch connector so that being the case see if there is a Bosch part number on the newer non fly lead one as I'm sure the development costs would mean its been used elsewhere too

Rob

what I would do is to search "bosch throttle position sensor" in google, under "images" to see if I can vivually find one exactly the same and do my research from there...

such as this link... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bosch+throttle+position+sensor&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIqvjxs9KWxwIVxGvbCh1WfwfW&biw=735&bih=534

or one for the rover search sting... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rover+v8+throttle+position+sensor&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-gbGB475GB475&espv=2&biw=786&bih=413&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI24u_jdOWxwIVZILbCh2x-QSD

hope it helps

What he said - basically any potentiometer will do. Chat up your local car parts shop to see what they've got, look in a few likely boxes with a tape measure...

You could move to MAPDot or blended accel enrichment, I did that on the 109 as bouncing over bumps was causing the TPS-based accel to trigger all the time.

P38 ones are much nicer, 3-pin junior timer plug. I'm sure the list price is extortionate but I've always just had them arrive attached to a plenum / inlet manifold and I've never paid much for the whole setup, £10-£50 seems to be the range although I did pick up a 4.6 plenum at Sodbury for £1 ^_^

A Freelander item looks similar (also list for TVR 4.3 engine) and cheap at about £35 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THROTTLE-POSITION-SENSOR-FORD-EUROPE-GRANADA-LANDROVER-MG-F-ROVER-111-19935-/261144967999?hash=item3ccd73fb3f
or even cheaper is

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-RANGE-PORSCHE-911-BOXSTER-THROTTLE-POSITION-SENSOR-/321728107522?fits=Car+Make%3ALand+Rover&hash=item4ae87d5402
at £9.99 and is said to match lots of Landrover V8's

Seems match the right connector Type for ERR4278 (if not it should be easy to get a plug to fit and change the connector)

Trouble is the freelander one has the more common "D" shape drive, whereas the plenum I have uses what I would call a "blade" drive (just like the end of a plain bladed screwdriver). This is what seems to cause the price difference!