Valve stem loose in wheel

elbekko

On my P38/D2 steel wheels, the valve stem is very loose in the hole. On all except 1 I can push it through by hand. This causes them to leak, unless the tyre is at 2.5+ bar, not so ideal for off-road.

They're currently the normal snap-in type. Would a bolt-in valve like this or these help? Or do I just need a different size, if that even exists?

And if the bolt-in ones are the solution, does anyone know where to get some that aren't chrome? :P

I always thought the push in rubber type were better. The whole body seals into the hole, and takes some abuse. IMHO the bolt in type could suffer from a o-ring failure, or be damaged by knocks...

Sounds like you just have the wrong size.

The smaller size in the bigger holes would be very obviously wrong I'd have thought.

That's my thinking as well. I just can't imagine any other reason why the hole would be oversize. Still, 4mm difference in diameter seems like a lot, even if they're supposed to put up a fight.

Just tried to have a measure. Didn't find anything sturdy enough high up enough to jack the tyre off the wheel, so had to go for a risky measure, holding the valve stem while measuring :P

Seems to be 15ish mm, so you guys must be right. I'll order up some of the bigger valve stems.