gearbox to engine

To fit a defender gearbox to a disco engine you need to tap out the lower 3 or 4 drillings and move the studs to suit the gearbox bolt pattern also I recommend either countersinking the 4 long bolt holes and fitting countersunk bolts (around 120mm long but check) or you can apparently drill the bell housing and fit the long bolts (i've never done this).

To answer your question yes you can bolt it up without the above but you need to leave a lot of bolts out and it's a bodge!

I've never seen the flywheel housing on a defender 200tdi so not sure how easy it is to convert the other way.

Mike

P.S. to quantify this I've just removed a disco lt77 from my 110 and put a defender lt77 in coupled to a disco 200tdi. See here:http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=94830&page=1

Not sure I follow want exactly you want as none of your posts Talley up. But all lt230's are the same (except some disco 2 have no diff lock) so yes any lt230 will fit the hand brake differs from model to model the td5 hand brake fits all but as I've just found out some need hole drilling and tapping to fit.

Mike

what I wanted was to pair defender gearbox lt77 with lt230 1.4 transfer box to disco 200tdi engine I also have a discovery lt77 with lt230 1.22 transfer box but didn't want the gear levers sitting to far back so if defender lt77 can't be paired up and have to use discovery lt77 was going to put 1.4 transfer box on the discovery gear box, was told 1.4 is better than 1.22, dd

So yes basically you want to do exactly what I've just done with ours.

Was:

Disco engine 200tdi pushed forwards disco lt77 gearbox and disco 1.22:1 lt230 with 205 tyres.

Now:

Disco 200tdi (now in the original position) with Steve parker exhaust coupled to a defender lt77 (in correct original position) and a 1.41:1 lt230 with 33" tyres.

A 1.22 transfer box is bearable if you have standard tyres and rarely tow. But personally I prefer my set up the taller tyres give you better cruising but the lower transfer box mean it's still good for towing and round town.

Mike

DD,the gearbox will bolt straight on, you'll just need to do the bolts into the ladder frame as Mike had explained (you don't have to do the bolts but if you don't it will leave that area unstable and prone to major leaks of oil).

Use the 1.4 defender transfer box.

Sorted.

Mo

its alright mike thought I dropped a clanger offered gear box upto flywheel housing the studs that didn't line up already had the pilot holes there so just drilled them out and tapped with m10 all bolted up nicely dismantle tomorrow and put the m10 120mm countersunk bolts in for ladder rack, dd

• 6 years later...
On 8/12/2015 at 11:08 PM, miketomcat said:

So yes basically you want to do exactly what I've just done with ours.

Was:

Disco engine 200tdi pushed forwards disco lt77 gearbox and disco 1.22:1 lt230 with 205 tyres.

Now:

Disco 200tdi (now in the original position) with Steve parker exhaust coupled to a defender lt77 (in correct original position) and a 1.41:1 lt230 with 33" tyres.

A 1.22 transfer box is bearable if you have standard tyres and rarely tow. But personally I prefer my set up the taller tyres give you better cruising but the lower transfer box mean it's still good for towing and round town.

Mike

Hi Mike, I don’t suppose you would be able to talk this through with me please, currently I have like four bolts in the gearbox due to previous owners bodge between a disco 300tdi and a defender LT77. The gearbox output shaft has snapped so I have ordered a new gearbox and transfer box from Winchester gears and also putting a LOF clutch in while it’s all out. When I put it back together I don’t want to have a bodge of a job any more, what tools do I need abs have you got any guidance etc!

Any help is much appreciated! 

kind regards 

Kyle 

Hi Kyle.

Most everything you need to know is covered above. The only complication is you have a 300tdi. I believe it is totally possible to mate the 300tdi to a def lt77, but I've never done it. I think you need the flywheel housing off a 200tdi, given you engine is already in the car this may have already been done. However if it hasn't it might explain why it doesn't have the correct number of bolts in. Given your not far from me pm me for my number if required.

Mike