Advice on making up HT leads

dave88sw

Hi,

Can anyone give some advice on the best method for making up carbon cored HT leads? I've bought plenty of cable from VWP and watched a few videos online but still not 100% sure because most videos seem to be using copper cored leads. If i strip the outer insulation off the cable i have, the core stays intact but the carbon seems to be contained in a transparent almost rubber-like coating, is it ok to just bend this back on itself and crimp as you would with a copper cored cable?

Some videos i've watched said their lead ends came with "spikes" to go in the end of the cable (literally just a thick strand of copper to poke up the end into the carbon core and then folded over the end as you would with copper leads), i could get hold of some copper strands to do this but is it necessary?

Sorry if this seems like a very simple question, i just want to make sure i get them right.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks guys, really appreciate the replies although it seems we have one vote for copper spikes and one for folding over the carbon core. I guess it's just a case of personal preference. I'll have a go at making one and see what's what, i have a few spare ends so can have a practice.

Thanks