If you value this forum's future please support us
dave88sw

Advice on making up HT leads

Hi,

Can anyone give some advice on the best method for making up carbon cored HT leads? I've bought plenty of cable from VWP and watched a few videos online but still not 100% sure because most videos seem to be using copper cored leads. If i strip the outer insulation off the cable i have, the core stays intact but the carbon seems to be contained in a transparent almost rubber-like coating, is it ok to just bend this back on itself and crimp as you would with a copper cored cable?

Some videos i've watched said their lead ends came with "spikes" to go in the end of the cable (literally just a thick strand of copper to poke up the end into the carbon core and then folded over the end as you would with copper leads), i could get hold of some copper strands to do this but is it necessary?

Sorry if this seems like a very simple question, i just want to make sure i get them right.

Thanks

Dave

I seen these with the carbon bent over and with a spike inserted. However, given that carbon leads are very soft I would use a copper spike and bend it over the make your connection.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the replies although it seems we have one vote for copper spikes and one for folding over the carbon core. I guess it's just a case of personal preference. I'll have a go at making one and see what's what, i have a few spare ends so can have a practice.

Thanks

IIRC the ones with metal tangs are for the 4 core leads, such as magnecor etc.

So yes, just fold it over, will be fine :)