Memory-map on Windows 10 on a Tablet.

The Memory-map app for the Android OS produces a severely crippled version of the MM experience given by a Windows PC (on XP SP3).

I didn't use the word 'crippled' when talking to MM support just now, I think I just referred to an Android tablet giving a very different MM experience (compared to the Windows PC MM experience).

Whatever, the result was instantly defensive, along the lines of 'I should never expect the same MM experience when working on a tablet'.

I then went to the nub of my question; if the tablet was running a Windows OS, would the MM experience be like that given by a tablet Android OS, or like a Windows PC?

The answer was more guarded, along the lines of 'MM have not supported the Windows tablet OS in the past, nor do they have any intention (in the near future) of providing such support. However there has been some feedback that MM did work on Windows 10 when used as a tablet OS.' He also went on to say that 'MM worked on a PC with Windows 10 with the same functionality as it did with Windows XP'.

The MM support guy did say that things might change 'when the dust had settled', and I acknowledge that the experienced advice is not to be an early adopter of a new OS, however, there are several factors to be considered here (for me), and while a wait of 3 months (say) might be reasonable, a wait of some years (as advocated by some 'experienced advisors') is not.

Does anyone have any experience with MM on a PC with Windows 10?

Does anyone have any experience with MM on a Tablet running Windows 10?

I am particularly interested in how a Windows 10 Tablet handles the management of a multitude of overlays. On the Android OS it doesn't, you can have them all, or none, there is no 'hiding' those that are not required 'today', but might be required tomorrow.

Anyone jumped in the water already ? :-)

Thanks.

Short answer is No, but, Windows 10...

• I attempted to upgrade my work PC - blue screen of death half way through the install, had to revert to Windows 7. After much googling of the error tried various 'fixes' none of which worked, so have given up.
  • A colleague did get it to successfully install, but experiences network and display driver crashes at least 3 times a day.

Hence I'd wait a while before taking the plunge.

The iOS and Windows Memory Map applications are very different from one another, I presume the Android one is similar to iOS. The funtionality of the former is very limited as you say, you can only really display one overlay. It is good for just basic positioning/navigation though and as most if not all tablets have on-board GPS it is a much tidier solution than my Toughbook CF-19 with an external GPS plugged in.

I tend to do all the prep-work on the desktop PC (route planning, drawing on ROWs etc.) using Memory Map (and ArcGIS sometimes) and then transfer these overlays to the Toughbook for in-car use. The bulkiness of the Toughbook is a pain though and I would like to find a solution to use the iPad in the car, however the lack of any decent overlay/layers functionality puts me off.

David,

Can you remember who you talked too? When my wife worked for them there was one individual who was pretty much a pain the arse, he used to refuse to answer phones and just surfed the net all day rather than help callers. He was the reason my wife and the previous 2 employees in that role left MM.

On another note I have switched both PCs to W10 and did have some problems during the installs. Fixed these problems and W10 installed fine. Have used MM on both and it works fine.

If he gave a name I didn't note it. The number I have is 0118 9062600.

Experience has taught me NOT to select Technical Support from the phone options.

Of the other options, I could have selected Sales enquiries or just held on, I think I selected Sales Enquiries. It was a male voice that answered and I think he was as helpful as he could be, given he was just an employee.

I know my first post might not show him in a good light, but at least he answered promptly, and kept talking to me, rather than just saying 'We don't support Windows Tablets, goodbye'.

I'm now feeling pretty positive about MM on a Windows 10 tablet, in fact, I've even selected the machine to buy, but as finances suggest next month will be preferable for me, I'm going to sit on my hands for a couple of weeks, giving the opportunity for other news to blow in, as yours just did, thankyou.

David.

• 4 months later...

did you ever get a result David ? looking at buying a tablet not sure to go for a Windows10 or a Andriod OS, I have MM on my home PC, would like the new tablet to talk to home PC & run MM.

will android tablet talk to a windoes pc ? using Vista on pc.

I had forgotten this thread.

I bought a MS Surface Pro 4, which is a full PC, running full PC programmes, on which the keyboard can be removed so the screen (which contains all the PC componentry), can be used as a Tablet.

I have, on one night trip, travelled with the screen mounted in the car, with my position being tracked by GPS. MM looks just like it does on my XP laptop, but I haven't yet copied all my overlays over.

Basically I'm still commissioning the Surface Pro 4.

The leap from XP to W10 can be stretching; not all my current software works, for instance, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 won't even load on W10, while Elements 10 will load, it cannot cope with the High Density screen on the Surface Pro 4, so I'm in the process of leaping from Elements 2 to Elements 14. Another stretch, just waiting for the Postman to deliver v14.

As it happens, the MM version 5 I was using on the XP PC was installed on the W10 SP4 with the High Density screen without a problem.

MS Office 2007 has also been installed without a problem.

You should read this thread by me for more details.

I've commented somewhere that with the introduction of the SP4, SP3 new prices have dropped in the MS store, and I suspect also on the second hand market. The SP3 may have W8 loaded, but I assume the free upgrade to W10 still applies. I understand the SP3 had the same Bluetooth issues as the W10 SP4, but looking at the RFCOMM Driver description I think the fix I've described in the other thread will also work.

If anyone is looking for a Windows based PC as a second device to use in the car then I think the SP3 would be a cost effective buy.

HTH

Thanks for the info, I've read the other post too, just looked at the SP 3 prices on the MS Store, still way out of my price range, I'm not overly worried about overlays I can manual add things like 'locations of fords' for example, so will have a look at other alternaive tablets over Xmas hols & maybe in January sales the prices may drop a bit.

• 1 month later...

I regard a Garmin as a single use product, whereas a PC has 'many' uses, so is a more cost effective purchase.

The Garmins I have seen have very small screens; for use in the car I prefer the larger screens available with Laptop PCs.

Memory Map do have some coverage of mainland Europe, although obviously I don't know if the coverage is enough for your purposes.

Regards.

It is very true that the tablet / mini PC / etc. as a multi use device is handy for a lot of things, other than navigation.

2016-02-21%20Garmin%207200%20met%20Topo%

However, 1 : 25.000 maps of the Continent are not that easy to find and although I am not a great fan of Garmin's policy about the locking of products to hardware etc., the quality of their maps and the hardware is very good. I love biggish screens and the 7200 has a rather large screen and although regarded as "mature hardware" these days it works very good for us.

2015-09-23%20%20Greenlane%20Navigation%2

Above the navigation desk in the Hybrid. Old school stuff but works very well for us. The 7200 works also with coordinates aswell as with "postcode" like destinations. The Brantz is worth weight in gold.

• Like 1

I have a GPSmap 62s which I love, and use for pretty much everything. And when we went racing, I used a Toughbook CF-18 with Oziexplorer and Garmin Mobile PC that was connected by USB to the GPSmap.

It's the best of both worlds, as it's both a portable size for using as a walking GPS, good enough for use in the car, and if I need a bigger map I just hook up the Toughbook (which reminds me that I should make a mount for the P38).