No spark on ms1 on a rover v8

Theviper1987

Hi all I'm pulling my hair out here. I have just fitted a Ms1 kit to my rover 4.2. Serp belt. I not getting a spark. I have got the vr sensor in the correct way. Iv got the battery on charge so I'm getting a good 10+v on cranking. Iv double checked all wiring. I did get it running for about 20 seconds the other night before it cut out. But now I have no spark again. Any ideas?? Thanks rob

As it is just spark issues, you only need to check for power and earth to the EDIS and coil packs, and wiring to VR sensor, there's nothing else it can be.

I am assuming you have checked the fuses and swapped out relays etc :)

As Bowie says, there's very little to go wrong with EDIS:

- Power & ground to EDIS

- Power & EDIS connection to coils

- Connection to VR sensor (polarity & continuity)

- VR sensor close enough to trigger wheel

If you've had it running, even for a few seconds, that suggests the wiring is at least "straight" (or straight enough) so check you've got power, check for blown fuses, chafed wires, loose connections. If EDIS has power & sees a VR sensor signal it will try and fire the coils.

How are you testing for spark?

Are you checking for spark by holding the plugs against the block? If so try it with one of the flashing test lights.

Once I started mine and it drove onto the trailer no problem. It started and drove off the trailer no problem. I tried to start it and go for a run and it wouldn't do anything. I didn't have many tools in the field so held the plugs against the block, no spark. There was power to the ECU and power to the coil packs so gave up and went home. Tested again for spark with a flasher and there was spark. Put new plugs in and it started and ran. Turns out there was a bad connection on the temp gauge and periodically it was seeing -40 degrees and dumping loads of fuel through and killed the plugs. If your plugs have been in since before you fitted MS maybe they're a bit choked up too?

Also look for an RPM signal on your laptop, this shows the trigger wheel side is working even if the timing is out.