90 - 300tdi out, 3.9 in???

Hi guys,

So I need help with ideas! I have a 90 which is my off-road competition vehicle here in Malta as well as the occasional weekend vehicle. It currently has a 300 tdi with the r380 fitted.. I am seriously considering removing it and fitting a 3.9 with an automatic box. I need pros and cons for this conversion...!!!! I know a manual box will be more 'fun' than an auto one but for off-road use I think the auto is better.. I'm a massive v8 fan hence why I want to do this conversion.. Please share your thoughts and opinions...

I'm a massive V8 fan too. I had a 3.9 auto in my 90 for many years and loved it. I've never owned a diesel Landy, so hard for me to compare engines. However the auto over manual was a huge help to my dodgy left knee, and superb off road too. Seemless gear changes on steep climbs can help too. I never had any concerns re lack of downhill engine braking.

I say DO IT, just be sure to do everything well, and you'll have a lot of fun.

Any bodgy wiring, or use of half knackered parts will only spoil your experience.

V8 or nothing.... ;) Every time I hear a piston slapping, coal burning diseasal I need to hold my hands over my ears while shouting la la la la la......

I understand the argument for diesels re fuel returns etc, but who ever bought a defender because they are cheap to run?! If you want economy buy a Prius. If you want smiles per mile stick the v8 in and roll the windows down. Music :)

• Like 1

Ok. Thanks for the response. Now the main question is manual (r380) or auto.. I do often compete in local competitions otherwise it's a weekend car. A lot of people have told me that auto is best for off-road as manuals often tend to stall... Although that's up to the driver in my opinion...

Auto (IMHO)

Expensive oil changes

DO NOT like ANY water ingress

Lack of engine braking down hill (can be learnt)
Soaks BHP

Damage = prob loss all gears

Can't bump start

MUCH kinder to drivetrains MUCH

So easy to drive

More relaxed

Manuals

R380 - stiill oil costs !
If something breaks ususlaly have something left

More gears than ZF4 speed, so low box lower

Engine braking

More control (peeps will argue than one)

Less fussy with water ingress

Rougher on drivetrain

Possibly a stronger unit vs a ZF22, but get ashcroft to build ZF24 internal into a 22 !

Nige

Autobox may soak some BHP, but it also puts the engine right in the torque band from the get-go, no waiting for it to get over 1800rpm before it does anything, this also kind of nullifies the low box being lower, as lotsa torque available at 1mph.

I also love the ability to just let my foot off the brake and have the truck crawl over stuff at idle, I have idle set a little high exactly for this reason (about 850-900 IIRC.)

Oh and 2 feet + 3 pedals = messy! :D

Anyways, back in my box :P

no waiting for it to get over 1800rpm before it does anything

No, he said he's got a V8, it works from idle.

The line that swung us to manual for Mouse was "no-one's made an autobox yet that can see what's coming".

But agree, it's entirely personal preference.

Yep true, they do, I still see it as a major advantage that if in first gear in a manual, at 600rpm, you only have minimal amount of torques available, compared to an auto-boxed engine that jumps up to 2000rpm the moment you touch the loud pedal...

That was what I referring to, thank goodness he has one thing right, and not plumping for a stinky diesel! ;)

I have a 3.9 auto in my rtv truck and I'm pretty sure that it helped in me winning yesterday's trial. .. being able to maintain drive at 1mph by holding it on the brakes works wonders for creeping over obstacles. ...

be prepared for mind numbing fuel consumption though!

i have been getting a whole mix of suggestions.. my friends here in malta mainly run auto's.. im going to try the automatic box and see how it goes... if it drives me mad since i love manual boxes ill just swap it out... another question... are there any modifications to be done to the main shaft of the automatic box to change from a 1.2 transfer box to a 1.4 transfer box

Parkers! Pah! What the hell do they know...

Never trust magazine or manufacturers 0-60 times. There meaningless. Trust me the old generation autos are miles slower than there manual counterparts. They sap so much power as Nige has already alluded to.

Now the latest generation autos are totally different beasts but back in the old RV8 days there was no comparison.

I'd still prefer one if I was in heavy traffic every day though :)