Black smoke

Hi just had truck remapped (td5) seems to of worked lods more power only thing I don't like is it chucks black smoke out when engine labours once revs to gears match up smoke clears and it's fine

So is this normal or should i get a les aggressive map

Because were I got the map done there's a choice of 3 maps and you get 30 days to chose or put back to standard and your money back

Any thoughts. Bob

• Like 1

got any details of the place you had it mapped? sounds like a quantum dealer (like us) my advice is boost need to be set via the actuator rod! something i hightly dounb they changed. hence the smoke as its over fueling.

my advice it so pop back and check if they adjusted it. if they did ask them to send map back off to get checked. (mistakes do happen)

HTH. :)

got any details of the place you had it mapped? sounds like a quantum dealer (like us) my advice is boost need to be set via the actuator rod! something i hightly dounb they changed. hence the smoke as its over fueling.

my advice it so pop back and check if they adjusted it. if they did ask them to send map back off to get checked. (mistakes do happen)

HTH. :)

I've been back intuch with them United deisel and they don't build maps themselves they get them via someone else and they did not alter boost just installed map

It's in for mot next week if the emissions are a problem I'll have to go back and try the other two maps and see how that goes

Thanks. Bob

persoannly i would shorten the actuator rod by 2-3 turns then give it a blast down the road. if it still smoke, the shorten further by 1 turn. stil smokes then i would put back to standard and get the map looked at/adjusted.

with a td5 remap, you cant just add more fuel without more air. ;)

persoannly i would shorten the actuator rod by 2-3 turns then give it a blast down the road. if it still smoke, the shorten further by 1 turn. stil smokes then i would put back to standard and get the map looked at/adjusted.

with a td5 remap, you cant just add more fuel without more air. ;)

yes I agree about the fuel to air mix if I get chance I'll have ago with shortening the rod tomorrow thanks bob

Hi had chance to have a look today after I gave up with the f------- door parts needed for that anyway went to adjust the rod on turbo as suggested and noticed a intake pipe the one under turbo was not spit but v soft and perished so just wondering if that could be the problem and the remap has just highlighted it so I'll replace that first if no better I'll adjust rod then. Any thoughts

Bob

• 10 months later...

I have similar problem

Defender, TD5, remapped, allisport intercooler, wastegate reconfigured as requested after remap.

The car smokes when climbing (when the boost is big), I don't have tacho, but I guess somewhere lower than 1500rpm

then it disappear and the car drives well

if I stay in place in Neutral, and put full throttle, the car smokes a lot

I have similar problem

Defender, TD5, remapped, allisport intercooler, wastegate reconfigured as requested after remap.

The car smokes when climbing (when the boost is big), I don't have tacho, but I guess somewhere lower than 1500rpm

then it disappear and the car drives well

if I stay in place in Neutral, and put full throttle, the car smokes a lot

when you say reconfigured, i assume you mean adjusted to increase boost? need to be more carefull as defenders wont go int limp mode when over boost when compared to discos. when remaped did they surgest what psi to adjust boost levels to and have you got a boost gauge fitted? :)

My Defender TD5 is mapped and does smoke when under load but clears when boost builds.

I have a fast road map with boost increase to 20 psi as recommended by the tuner.

A common problem for black smoking is the turbo elbow going soft with age and collapsing under high boost, so this might need changing.

Toby