Hard top to Station wagon - DVLA info?

Regarding the LEZ I rang up and spoke to them as my 90 hard top was converted to SW spec by adding windows and seats. I was told by them that changing from 'Light 4x4 utility' on the V5 wouldn't update their system but if I sent them some photos clearly showing that it was now a car they would update the system for me.

Having said that I never got round to it and the last time I had to drive into London I just took the FFRR with a trailer instead

Also watch out for VAT: if the original vehicle was sold as a 'commercial' or 'van' to a business they probably did not pay [or they did and then claimed back] the VAT on it.

When it becomes a 'car' it is then liable to VAT.

Trust me on this - life's too short to get involved in the hassle of HMC&E VAT litigation.

I was also asking the same question recently for my 90 hard top, you can I believe fit side windows and the DVLA are not interested. However fitting seats or changing the colour for example does require notification.

I also discovered that you can convert a 110 to a station wagon and get it re-registered through the DVLA, but this does not apply to SWB for some reason. You can register the changes for a 90 but it remains a commercial.

I just wanted to fit side windows, rear seats and respray it. Wasn't that bothered about conversion through DVLA to SW just thought it simplified matters. As I don't need to re-register as a SW it makes life simpler and avoids the dreaded VAT issue mentioned above.

My only dilemma now is whether to go for 2 forward facing or 4 inner facing seats (I know inner facing are dangerous etc).

Back when the LEZ was first introduced the DVLA wouldn't change the body type on anything older than a TD5 but you could register for an exemption with the LEZ by sending photos of the windows and seats in the back of your Defender.

EDIT: Details are here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=21503&p=611664

Indeed, but be careful what you buy.

My 1993 genuine county station wagon is not LEZ exempt as it has been (like to many others) incorrectly registered with DVLA as a 'Light 4x4 Utility' rather than an 'Estate' on the V5C. In theory I should be able to send TfL some pictures of it etc. to prove it is a station wagon, though it seems they have tightened their definition of 'station wagon' to exclude ones with rear bench seats. So if I wanted to get the exemption I would have to fit a couple of individual inward-facing seats with belts to do so, the benches (even with belts) don't satisfy TfL.

Luckily I never intend to drive into London!

Some good info here - keep it coming.

Would HMRC still be interested if the 110 in question is 29 years old and has a slew of only private previous owners?

And for the sake of gossip avoidance, my only Land Rover is a 100" hybrid. No plans to buy or convert a 110.