Welding tables

Gazzar

I've been pigging out on youtube recently - looking a the lovely kit they have in the US.

Has anyone used a buildpro welding table, or similar? They look good.

G.

Look like you'd have to be in production to justify that, very nice but gawd knows how much a table & a decent collection of clamps etc. would set you back.

A decent sturdy flat/square steel bench is plenty of most things, if you need you can just tack weld things down to it to hold them then grind the tacks back when done, this is how I've seen it done both in the lab & the factory.

they aren't cheap, when i worked at Terex i used one which was 8ft x 16ft (BIG) and it was so useful!

The good thing about them is not only are they a machined surface, but they are hardened too which means as long as you keep the top of the table oiled up weld spatter does not stick, if it does it only needs something just to scrape it off.

the different types of clamps and blocks have about a million and one uses too!

If you want to have a welding table i suggest as FF says, build yourself one but make sure the top plate is as thick as possible, (ideally 10mm or more if the table is 8ftx4ft and make sure it has lots of crossmembers to make it really solid. and make sure to oil it up.

just spraying on a liberal coat of wd-40 and wiping off with a rag does the trick. or cover it in marking out blue, spatter does'nt stick to that much either.

We use old mill tables , flat , tee slots and cast iron so steel weld spatter doesn't stick . The big one is 5m x1.5m and the benches are all around 1.3m x 0.6m .

If anyone wants specific table plates , say with a few slots and holes cut with true 90deg corners on the table pm me , we cut up to 30 mm plate on an Esprit HD plasma cnc all the time so can always fit in one offs

cheers

Steveb

Are you on acid? Oil is the last thing I want near my welding table. AC Tig is hard enough without contaminating everything

AC tig doesn't create spatter, no need to worry about it, although when I say oil the table it's 95% wiped off, only leaving enough for spatter to not stick and the table to not rust. No-one wants to slorm it in oil haha!

They ain't gonna be cheap!!

I've not worried to date with the MIG or MMA welding, when I get my TIG stuff set up then I'll be putting a 4mm steel plate I've got on top of the workshop bench, but the MIG isn't allowed in the workshop, only the TIG