Steering box play, 6 bolt vs 4 bolt

Right well, working my way round the little jobs post not and work on the wrinkles.

One issue has been play in the steering. When driving down along if you hit a bump or pot hole and the car lurches trying to catch it due to the play seems quite alarming. Feels like you would end up on the other lane. Now I know there is a bit of its a landrover but seems worse than my old 200 tdi.

Anyway whilst it was in the local independent for some other work, they had a look, and adjusted the box up as much as possible without it locking up. And whilst it was better its still not confidence inspiring. Now they mentioned that the 6 bolt fitted have a tendency to be worse than the 4 bolt.

Now the chassis is a galv one so don't fancy cutting it about to fit a 4 bolt one.

So what are the options? Just change it for another one? I have heard lots of stories about replacement bits being worse than the bits replaced so any recommendations

Thanks

Panhard rod is something else to check before changing the box. 4 bolt are more common and cheaper but there is nothing wrong with a 6 or even 3 bolt if in good condition they all fit in the same place on the same holes however the hose/pipe fittings can vary from box to box and a 6/3 bolt won't fit if you have a viscous fan on a 200tdi disco engine in a defender.

Mike

Hi , I had the same problem with my defender 1991, i replaced it with a second hand box and it made a massive difference and the problem was solved, try and source your parts locally so if there are any probs you can sort it quickly

Hi all i need some help please , iv got a 1991 defender 200tdi i have quite a bit of oil leaking from the transfer box , any ideas on what i can do to try and stop it ? Thanks Alan