Gazzar

"performance" tdi 200 cylinder heads - any experiences?

I'm of the opinion that the cylinder head on my tdi 200 isn't in the best of health, worn valve guides and the like, etc and was thinking of getting it reconditioned. The two serious reconditioners, Turners and ACR, both have a "performance" version of the head for not a lot more money.

Has anyone fitted one of these heads? What was the experience before and after?

I'm just wondering if it's worth it?

G.

IIRC a friend of a friend has one on his 300TDi discovery, i shall enquire!

When I rebuilt the bottom end of my 200 I asked Richard at wards of rugby how the TDi responds to porting the head and he replied quite well..

IIRC a friend of a friend has one on his 300TDi discovery, i shall enquire!

Appreciate it, thanks.

G.

I have one on my 300tdi. I fitted it along with full size intercooler so carn't say how much difference it made on its own but it does go ok. I've never had chance to put it along side a standard 300tdi to see if there is much difference between them.

^^ Thats the one, saves me asking haha

It's only an extra £100, so I think I'll do it anyway - can't hurt. Now, all I have to do is find the time to take the head of my spare engine.

Thanks.

Turners website estimates an increase of 10-30% in power. I've always wanted to put mine on the rolling road to see if all those little mods at up to anything.

Turners website estimates an increase of 10-30% in power. I've always wanted to put mine on the rolling road to see if all those little mods at up to anything.

so have i!

30% from porting a head sounds an awfully large increase on a turbocharged motor.

Could it be so that the 30% is possible without toooo much smoke after pump adjust where as without porting the 30% would give too much smoke.

I have had some experience with the old 2,25 diesels masive headwork meant that pump recalibrated to plus 15% gave 10% better economy and it pulled like a train ( if you can say that about a 2,25 ) but it was under no ircumstance possible to make it smoke so i am convinced that another 5-10% fuel would have been possible with same emission as normal, just my thoughts.

Ole